Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Luis Martinez <lm...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/18 14:47:13 UTC

Questions about your test environments.

Hi Group

I am curious about how you run your test environments in Shape Blue or
anybody in the group.

1.- Do you use hardware to install and configure your test environments
or do you use virtual machines and what do you use ?

2.- Do you run some performance test?

3.- Can you share a description of hardware you are using?

I use XCP-NG to create as many VMs I need to run my test then I move it
to bare metal as follows

-- 1 8 core xeon with 30G RAM where I run a VM for the manager

--1 8 core xeon with 16G RAM with FREENAS for primary and secondary

--1 24 cores XEON with 64 G RAM for the host, this is where the VM's run

Thank you,

Luis Martinez.

Re: Questions about your test environments.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Luis, over the years several nested environments have been developed. At
shapeblue there is a small lab that uses Trillian [1] to deploy VMs. when
in the jungle you could use monkeybox [2] on your laptop. long time ago
there was devcloud but I don't know if it is still used (monkeybox is kind
of a successor) and "the bubble" [4] which still exists but is not actively
maintained for cloudstack.
If you are operating a cloud I strongly advice to keep a small mirror of
your production hardware to test on. There is always these little snags
that will catcha if you don't take care.

[1] https://github.com/shapeblue/Trillian
[2] https://github.com/rhtyd/monkeybox
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/DevCloud
[4] https://github.com/MissionCriticalCloud/bubble-toolkit