Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2016/09/17 16:43:45 UTC

Re: Threadlocal leaks while Tomcat shutdown

Amit,

On 9/17/16 9:41 AM, Amit Pande wrote:
> This might not be the right forum to ask this question.  Yet wanted
> to if anyone faced this issue.
>
> Our application uses Jacorb library to talk to legacy daemons over
> CORBA.
>
> However while stopping the Tomcat, observing following errors. They
> are from the jacrob.jar ..but not sure how to prevent this. Any
> thoughts ?
>

> SEVERE: The web application [] created a ThreadLocal with key of
> type [org.jacorb.orb.Delegate$1] (value
> [org.jacorb.orb.Delegate$1@62305af6]) and a value of type
> [java.lang.Boolean] (value [false]) but failed to remove it when
> the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed
> over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak. Sep 17, 2016
> 7:04:53 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase
> checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks SEVERE: The web application [] created
> a ThreadLocal with key of type [org.jacorb.orb.Delegate$1] (value
> [org.jacorb.orb.Delegate$1@62305af6]) and a value of type
> [java.lang.Boolean] (value [false]) but failed to remove it when
> the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed
> over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

Your best bet is to ask the Jacorb group how to clean their
ThreadLocal values since you are using this library in a
servlet-container context.

The good news is that Tomcat will slowly retire all of the threads in
the thread pool so that those ThreadLocals will eventually be GC'd and
you won't have a ClassLoader leak. So it would be best to find out how
to use Jacorb correctly (or, if they have a bug, get them to fix it),
but in the meantime you should be safe from memory leaks -- at least
from this particular kind of ThreadLocal leak.

Hope that helps,
- -chris