Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andy Grove <An...@rms.com> on 2018/04/23 17:48:18 UTC

[Java] Upgrading Arrow to JDK 1.8

I’m trying to use the parquet-arrow library, which has just been updated to use Arrow 0.8.0 but unfortunately I am still running into this issue:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.arrow.vector.types.pojo.ArrowType$Struct_

The class in the arrow jar is actually `Struct` not `Struct_`.

This is due to Arrow using JDK 7 and Parquet using JDK 8.

I have confirmed this on my forks and have submitted a PR to upgrade Arrow to JDK 1.8 but the CI tests are running against both JDK 7 and 8 and obviously the JDK 7 tests are failing.

Is there any reason for maintaining JDK 7 compatibility? JDK 7 end of life was 3 years ago.

Thanks,

Andy.

Re: [Java] Upgrading Arrow to JDK 1.8

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.