Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by kowsik <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/28 18:06:33 UTC

Suggestion: CoffeeScript -> Erlang

Was thinking about this last night. This translator would be awesome
to keep the views people-like-me-readable, at the same time getting
the maximum possible view indexing performance since there's no cost
of JSON serialization out to the external process. For a write-heavy
database with lots of design docs, could be huge.

Anyways, a side project for someone! :)

K.
---
http://blog.mudynamics.com
http://blitz.io
@pcapr

Re: Suggestion: CoffeeScript -> Erlang

Posted by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com>.
On 09/28/2011 10:17 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM, kowsik <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Was thinking about this last night. This translator would be awesome
>> to keep the views people-like-me-readable, at the same time getting
>> the maximum possible view indexing performance since there's no cost
>> of JSON serialization out to the external process. For a write-heavy
>> database with lots of design docs, could be huge.
>>
>> Anyways, a side project for someone! :)
>>
>> K.
>> ---
>> http://blog.mudynamics.com
>> http://blitz.io
>> @pcapr
>>
> Elixir ?
>
> https://github.com/josevalim/elixir
>
> thouh you will still have the sandboxing problem.
>
> - benoit

There's also Efene

https://github.com/marianoguerra/efene

Cheers,
  Volker

Re: Suggestion: CoffeeScript -> Erlang

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.
I think a JS-to-Erlang translator would be a pretty complex task; ditto for any alternative syntax like CS.

Why not use emonk instead? It moves the JS interpreter into the db process, so there's no IPC or serialization overhead. This is already used on iOS, where we aren't allowed to run subprocesses.

--Jens