Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/03/09 11:39:48 UTC

Re: Dual licensing of patches and code

The conversation below happened in public, but not on the OpenOffice
public lists. I believe it's good to record its outcome here on the
OpenOffice dev list too.

LGPLv3+ acceptable to both OpenOffice and LibreOffice (and Apache
Software Foundation and The Document Foundation)?"
- Answer by the OpenOffice PMC: "Yes (speaking for the OpenOffice
project). See http://openoffice.apache.org/contributing-code.html "

No further discussion needed on the OpenOffice dev list. The ongoing
conversation can be read at:
http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
It is not clear to me that the Apache OpenOffice statement answers the
question as it was asked at [tdf-discuss].  I read Jim's question as
being about multi-licensing (dual- or more).  Not about a contributor
making a contribution of their original work in two places and under
different licenses in each place.  That's very different.

If the AOO page is considered an affirmative response to Jim's question,
then so is Florian Effenberger's pointing to The Document Foundation
license-policy page,
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/License_Policy>.

For me, multi-licensing would be a kind of one-stop contribution that
allows the contribution to be used by those who obtain it in accordance
with whichever of the multi-licensings they choose.

Nothing is done to facilitate that by either project.  Furthermore,
all of the licenses that are considered have strings on how a contri-
bution is accounted for in any combined/derivative work.

By the way, there is no mention of the Apache License (any version)
in the iCLA that is offered to the ASF and that all committers have
on record.  It strikes me that a contribution in accordance with the
default case in section 5 of the ALv2 is similarly entirely about
sections 2, 3 and related definitions.  The sections about recipients
is not something that governs the contributor's use of their own
contribution (a good reason those are not in the iCLA, since an iCLA
is entirely about contribution).
Cf. <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>.

The manner in which TDF collects license grants is
rather different, with contributors specifying the licenses that
their work can be released under (i.e., they are multi-licensing
their contributions).

>From all of this, you can surmise what I mean to accomplish by my
blanket, public grants regarding my contributions to LibreOffice and
Apache projects, so that anyone can make us of those contributions,
no matter which project the contributed is made to, with the same
permissiveness granted to the ASF in an Apache iCLA.  And that can
be done without my having to make direct contributions in more than
one of those places.

 - Dennis

PS: I am not cross-posting this response.  I shall forward my part
to [tdf-discuss] however.

Re: Dual licensing of patches and code

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 13-03-09, at 05:39 , Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> The conversation below happened in public, but not on the OpenOffice public lists. I believe it's good to record its outcome here on the OpenOffice dev list too.

Yes; thanks!

> - Answer by the OpenOffice PMC: "Yes (speaking for the OpenOffice project). See http://openoffice.apache.org/contributing-code.html "

Quite.

> No further discussion needed on the OpenOffice dev list. The ongoing conversation can be read at: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/