Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com> on 2003/09/10 19:42:06 UTC

Who wants to be a committer?

So, a new process; if you are interested in becoming a committer, and
have submitted enough code/contributions/become a member of the
community, simply reply to this message title. Please do not reply to
this same message title if you are not interested in becoming a
committer, or are not a committer replying.

Once you've announced your intent, can a committer then post a reply to
this, officially proposing a vote for that person. This will kick-start
the normal ASF processes which I'm sure we'd all want to follow anyway.

To make it clearer, I suggest that message titles are as follows:

Who wants to be a committer? <- this message
Re: Who wants to be a commiter? Alex Blewitt <- people who are
interested in nominating themselves
[Vote] Re: Who wants to be a committer? Alex Blewitt <- a committer
will have to officially launch the voting process off
Re: [Vote] Re: Who wants to be a committer? Alex Blewitt <- responses
from other people (committers have the only binding votes, but support
from the community is also a good indication)

Alex.

Comments on committer process

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
The process-vote is essentially the same thing; both are using the
standard ASF process. The only difference is whether there should be a
week of nominations first, or whether nominations should be done on a
one-on-one basis.

By creating a single message thread with a reserved title, I had hoped
to set a precedent that could be used to track the result -- whichever
process was used.

Regards,

Alex.

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 19:02 Europe/London, Noel J. Bergman
wrote:

> When the process starts, your name would naturally and normally be at
> the
> top of a list.  But the hard sell is going to rub at least some people
> the
> wrong way, and I would hate to see that happen.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a hard sell.

> I know it is tough, but kick back and give the process time to settle
> in.
> This is all part of incubation.  The Community must learn how to
> operate.
> Sometimes it takes a bit of strain before people realize that something
> really does need to get done.

I merely filed it so that it would encourage other potentially
interested committers to put their names forward. After all, I'm sure
that people know me by now -- but what about others who are working
towards that goal as well?

As one someone's earlier mails pointed out, sometimes it's just that it
needs a kick-started process to get the ASF process into action, and in
essence, that's the point of Davanum's original suggestion.

It's also been suggested that a Wiki would work for the same effect,
but it's more likely that the current committers are going to read this
mailing list so having a record of other interested people would be
more advantageous if brought up on the e-mail list.

Does that explain why I filed it a little better?

Alex.

RE: Who wants to be a committer? Alex Blewitt

Re: Who wants to be a committer? Alex Blewitt

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
I put myself forward as a committer. I believe that I have worked on a
fair amount of code in the implementation of the JavaMail codebase, and
have also contributed to the community throughout postings to this
newsgroup not only on JavaMail but on a variety of other topics as well.

I have already signed and faxed the ASF2 contribution form, and in the
past others have suggested that I may be one of the people considered
for committer access. In fact, it has already been proposed once but
only received a +1 and a +0.

Can one of the committers propose me as a committer?

Thanks,

alex.