Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Arnaud Vandyck <ar...@ressource-toi.org> on 2001/02/01 10:57:30 UTC

Re: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
To: <co...@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 8:37 PM
Subject: RE: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines

> I'm not sure that these benchmarks can be completely trusted with
> such a small sampling of test files (three, to be exact).  I'd
> be interested in seeing a comparison that utilized a wide variety
> of XSL tests and multiple JVMs.  It looks like
> http://www.datapower.com/XSLTMark/ has a more thorough test suite,
> but they don't have benchmarks posted for Xalan2.

I'm not sure I really understand these tests! I always hear "Java is slow"
and in these tests, Java XSLT Processor are sometimes faster than C++
parsers! Am I right? Did I miss something?.. or maybe missunderstand?

--
Arnaud Vandyck
<http://www.ressource-toi.org>

Re: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines

Posted by Arnaud Vandyck <ar...@ressource-toi.org>.
Posted by S�rgio Carvalho <sc...@criticalsoftware.com>.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:57:30 +0100
"Arnaud Vandyck" <ar...@ressource-toi.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure I really understand these tests! I always hear "Java is slow"
> and in these tests, Java XSLT Processor are sometimes faster than C++
> parsers! Am I right? Did I miss something?.. or maybe missunderstand?

You just missed the last two years of developments on JIT compilers. Java is truly faster than C++ for most data manipulation tasks. I just whish Sun would speed up their implementation of Swing - the GUI toolkit. Too many people think Java is slow because the UI apps are slow, and it is all caused by a poor GUI toolkit (performance-wise).

> --
> Arnaud Vandyck
> <http://www.ressource-toi.org>

Sergio Carvalho
---------------
scarvalho@criticalsoftware.com

Re: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> [...]

You didn't miss anything.  Most of the issue is algorithm.
A slow algorithm is slow no matter what language you throw
at it.  For the same exact algorithm, java will run slower
than C++.  But you can't do the exact same algorithm most of
the time which leads to optimizations depending on your
implementation language.