Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2003/11/21 07:52:14 UTC

[Woody] - status?

Hi:

Reviewing old mails, I found we agreed to add to the woody template
specification an initial tag that was called <wd:hotkey>

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105848333001636&w=2

Please, follow the above thread.

I don't know if I miss something, but I don't see it anymore.

Best Regads,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Denis <de...@aic-info.com>.
> Do you meant <label for="name" accesskey="N">User <span
> class="accesskey">n</span>ame</label> ??

yes

> Since labels are produced by the XSL, this should be feasible, although
> not that straightforward since labels can contain not only text, but
> also arbitrary markup.

What about the following then:
<label for="name" User <acccess-key>n<acccess-key>ame</label>

Then convert it to proper HTML tag when applying xslt

Denis

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Denis wrote:
>
>> Hi Sylvain,
>>

>>> I also noticed that, although the HTML spec recommends to underline the
>>> accesskey in the label, no browser seems to do it. Any hint/advice on
>>>

>> this?
>>
>> One way to get this is to create a <span> element around the
>> 'access-key'
>> and set its border-bottom style property to 1px solid.
>>

> Do you meant <label for="name" accesskey="N">User <span
> class="accesskey">n</span>ame</label> ??

Will it break accessibility? I.e., will it mess up unusual browsers such
as screen readers, lynx, etc?

Vadim

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Denis wrote:

>Hi Sylvain,
>

>>I also noticed that, although the HTML spec recommends to underline the
>>accesskey in the label, no browser seems to do it. Any hint/advice on
>>

>this?
>
>One way to get this is to create a <span> element around the 'access-key'
>and set its border-bottom style property to 1px solid.

Do you meant <label for="name" accesskey="N">User <span
class="accesskey">n</span>ame</label> ??

>OTOH, I just don't know how difficult it is to impement into woody ...

Since labels are produced by the XSL, this should be feasible, although
not that straightforward since labels can contain not only text, but
also arbitrary markup.

Sylvain

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Denis <de...@aic-info.com>.
Hi Sylvain,

> I also noticed that, although the HTML spec recommends to underline the
> accesskey in the label, no browser seems to do it. Any hint/advice on
this?

One way to get this is to create a <span> element around the 'access-key'
and set its border-bottom style property to 1px solid.

OTOH, I just don't know how difficult it is to impement into woody ...

Regards,

Denis

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> please understand that if I'm suggesting wi:label en wi:acceskey (and
> same for Sylvain I persume) we are not suggesting to put this
> information in another place then the current definition file
>
> this is just pass-through information that is common for all instances,
> and therefore the suggestion could be to change from wd:label to
> wi:label in the definition file (and the i18n case with embedded
> wi:accesskey offers some argumentation if you ask me)
>
> it is the same as having a wi:styling and a wi:group elements inside the
> template-file
>

> hm, maybe the confusion comes from which value we attach to the action
> of XML-namespacing.
>
> in my head xml namespaces are mapping to devided semantic domains,
> saying something like 'this element has meaning inside this context'
>
> so what I am trying to say is that namespaces are not meant IMHO to map
> onto the created SoC (they often do, but doesn't seem to be a
> requirement AFAICS).
>
> As such I think that a distinct responsibility/role in the system could
> include making statements or reacting on statements that are built up of
> concepts from different semantic domains
>
> or in other words: if the form-designer-role is speaking about
> design-elements that are shared between all instances, then he probably
> should do that rather in the wi namespace?
>

> IMHO, allowing to mix namespaces in one XML file is the whole reasoning
> behind having them in the first place?
>

> just my 2c.
> (hoping it lowered confusion rather then adding to it)
> -marc=

No, Marc, I completely agree with you :-)

Joerg

--
System Development
VIRBUS AG

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Marc Portier dijo:
>
>>well, I do think it does make sense to go for wi:label
>>
>>Thinking about it in some abstract terms, we could look at the wd-file
>>as some kind of a class definition, with all of its declared fields as
>>some kind of member-variable declarations
>

> The decision is hard to take. I thought the definition file is related to
> a form definition. Under this context it is correct to have an accesskey
> related to the label.

yes.

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Marc Portier dijo:

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Marc Portier wrote:
>

>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> We currently only have <wd:hint> and <wd:help> implemented in the
>>> styling. Adding the hotkey is still to be done.
>>>
>>> Now what about naming it <wd:accesskey> or <wd:access-key>? This
>>> would be more similar to the corresponding "acceskey" HTML attribute.
>>>
>>> I also noticed that, although the HTML spec recommends to underline
>>> the accesskey in the label, no browser seems to do it. Any
>>> hint/advice on this?
>>

>> first idea is to have:
>>
>> <wd:label><wd:accesskey>N</wd:accesskey>ame:</wd:label>
>>
>> of course we will need some fit with the i18n support
>>
>> suggestion, just keep the current:
>> <wd:label>
>> <i18n:text key="prompt.name" />
>> </wd:label>
>>
>> where
>> <message key="prompt.name"><wi:accesskey>N</wi:accesskey>ame:</message>
>

> I love this, as it avoids separate definitions of label and key in the
> i18n catalogue.

yep

>> ? hm, I don't actually don't know if current i18n transformer is
>> supporting mixed content-model messages, anyone?
>

> Yes, it does (IIRC, this is new in 2.1).

cool, we might consider the introduction of an example on this somewhere
(couldn't easily find anything on website or wiki)

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Reviewing old mails, I found we agreed to add to the woody template
>>> specification an initial tag that was called <wd:hotkey>
>>>
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105848333001636&w=2
>>>
>>> Please, follow the above thread.
>>>
>>> I don't know if I miss something, but I don't see it anymore.
>>>

>> We currently only have <wd:hint> and <wd:help> implemented in the
>> styling. Adding the hotkey is still to be done.
>>
>> Now what about naming it <wd:accesskey> or <wd:access-key>? This
>> would be more similar to the corresponding "acceskey" HTML attribute.
>>
>> I also noticed that, although the HTML spec recommends to underline
>> the accesskey in the label, no browser seems to do it. Any
>> hint/advice on this?
>

> first idea is to have:
>
> <wd:label><wd:accesskey>N</wd:accesskey>ame:</wd:label>
>
> of course we will need some fit with the i18n support
>
> suggestion, just keep the current:
> <wd:label>
> <i18n:text key="prompt.name" />
> </wd:label>
>
> where
> <message key="prompt.name"><wi:accesskey>N</wi:accesskey>ame:</message>

I love this, as it avoids separate definitions of label and key in the
i18n catalogue.

> ? hm, I don't actually don't know if current i18n transformer is
> supporting mixed content-model messages, anyone?

Yes, it does (IIRC, this is new in 2.1).

> also this approach would require us however to make some upfront
> suggestions on the order of template and i18n transformer? (and thus
> reflect that in the namespace-prefix in the message)

As i18n must come after the woodytransformer, <wi:accesskey> makes
sense. But when the label is in the definition, we'll have a
<wi:accesskey> inside a <wd:label>...

I suggested some time ago to have <wi:label> in the form definition
since, its just "transported" by the widget to produce the instance (no
processing occurs on it), but I'm not sure that mixing prefixes is so
intuitive. OTOH, "wi:" clearly indicates that it's an optional and
view-only data.

> biggest plus for this approach to me seems to be that you are assuring
> that the access-key _is_ part of the label, regardless of the language?

Yep. And formatting becomes trivial, since there's no need to look the
the key and split the label.

> in any case I would find it logical to have the accesskey-node
> dependent (i.e. child or attribute) of the label attribute
>

> thinking of other possibilities I'm only arriving at a specific
> attribute to wd:label
>
> <wd:label acceskey="i18n:accesskey.name" >
>     <i18n:text>prompt.name</i18n:text>
> <wd:label>
>
> where then
> prompt.name=Name:
> accesskey.name=N
>
> seems easier at first, but still fails to support the underlining?

Well, it makes a verbose and complex definition, and doesn't help to
write the XSL...

> what do you guys think?

+1 for <wi:accesskey> in labels!

Sylvain

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> I agree, but IMHO you are talking about two different things here...

<snip type="explaination"/>

Touché, I haven't seen it this way - thanks for pointing out ;-)

> taking up your point however, next to the accesskey, we might think
> about a @shortcut which then needs to be catched by some js-key-event
> handler
>
> however, I would think of those as being children/attributes of the
> form rather then of any of the widgets (let alone their labels)
>
> making sense ?

 From my point of view, this sounds good.

> -marc=

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug Consulting GmbH

[OT]: language chavinism (was: [Woody] - status?)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> 2/ command-shortcuts: key-strokes that replace the need for diving
>>> through a menu and function as some kind of macro-triggers
>>>
>>> see, if I use MS Word in the dutch version then saving a file through
>>> the access-keys of the menu become ALT-B-B (bestand -> bewaren) while
>>> the nglish version has ALT-F-S (files -> save)
>>>
>>> in both versions the shortcut CTRL-S does the same.
>>> (just like the CTRL-X,C,V are never 'localized')
>>

>> In spanish version you can also use Ctrl+G (Guardar), that is diferent
>> from Ctrl+S.
>>

> Well, you see Marc, chauvinism is not a french only virtue/fault (choose
> your preferred).
>
> ;-D
>
> Sylvain

I personally like the idea of language chauvinism as you called it. I read
the French are really strict with the usage of English words: they translate
everything, even Personal Computer. Might be extreme, but I like it much
more than the so called "Denglisch" (Deutsch + Englisch = German + English)
word mix in German linguistic usage.

Articles (in German):
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/jobkarriere/erfolggeld/artikel/236/8228/
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/jobkarriere/erfolggeld/artikel/247/16231/
http://vds-ev.de/denglisch/sprachpanscher/sprachhunzer.php

The worst are the "Denglisch" words not known in English, when German
marketers wants to sound more English than the English men themself. The
most extreme sample: Handy. I guess not many people without knowledge of the
German language can imagine what it should mean. It's the Denglisch word for
Mobile Phone though we also know the word Mobiltelefon.

So enough ranted. Preserve your chauvinism ;-)

Joerg

--
System Development
VIRBUS AG

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Marc Portier dijo:

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Michael Hartle wrote:
> Marc Portier wrote:
>
>> <message key="prompt.name"><wi:accesskey>N</wi:accesskey>ame:</message>
>>
>> ? hm, I don't actually don't know if current i18n transformer is
>> supporting mixed content-model messages, anyone?
>>
>> also this approach would require us however to make some upfront
>> suggestions on the order of template and i18n transformer? (and thus
>> reflect that in the namespace-prefix in the message)
>>
>> biggest plus for this approach to me seems to be that you are assuring
>> that the access-key _is_ part of the label, regardless of the language?
>

> Just a wild thought, this might lead to web applications that have
> different hotkeys for the same task (or behave differently for the same
> hotkey used) depending on the language they are i18n-ed to ? Just
> imagine how difficult using the "vi" would become (in terms of
> documentation, explaining, accidential changes of i18n configuration for
> a user, etc) if all shortcuts (command "dd" => "delete a line") would
> turn out to be different in other languages, eg. German (command "lösche
> eine Zeile" => "lz" ??).

I agree, but IMHO you are talking about two different things here...

1/ accesskey: visual clues with underscores that indicate fast-access on
screens you are (maybe) seeing for the first time

2/ command-shortcuts: key-strokes that replace the need for diving
through a menu and function as some kind of macro-triggers

see, if I use MS Word in the dutch version then saving a file through
the access-keys of the menu become ALT-B-B (bestand -> bewaren) while
the nglish version has ALT-F-S (files -> save)

in both versions the shortcut CTRL-S does the same.
(just like the CTRL-X,C,V are never 'localized')

(since vi was born well before menus emerged, I would consider all of
those as of the second type)

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> And "habitualization" is related to what you usually need. Switch to
>> another language version of the office applications you usually use,
>> and you'll see that menu shortcuts will change also. An example that
>> comes to mind is MS Word, where "bold" is ctrl-B in english but
>> ctrl-G in french because the french for bold is "gras".
>

> LOL, really Sylvain: this only shows french chauvinism (or the lack of
> any belgian similar feeling)

Grmmph... ;-)

> fact is: we do have ctrl-B in belgian language versions (but maybe
> this is only because the V for 'vetjes' was already taken?)

Note that we do have also the usual Z-X-C-V shortcuts for
undo-cut-copy-paste. This is, I guess, because the definition of these
keys is related to a geographical placement on the keyboard rather than
a letter from the corresponding word (although key layout also differs
among languages).

But looking at it closer, I see that although menu shortcuts not always
corresponds to the actual word defining the action, access keys always
do, since they have to be displayed as underlined.

Sylvain

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Michael Hartle dijo:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
>> I don't agree here: vi is not i18nized and gives no visual feedback on
>> what its commands are. The purpose of access keys is to provide fast
>> access to fields that are _displayed_ in the page. And as the label of
>> these fields varies with the language, so should vary the access keys.
>> The fact that the access key must be present in the label text also
>> enforces this.
>
> hmm... the question is, does it always make sense to forcefully vary the
> access keys along with the field names when another language is used ? I
> agree, when using the concept of underlining the access key of fields,
> this requires the character to be present in the label, but perhaps
> other concepts might be more feasable in the long term, as this
> requirement might backlash in some cases; I cannot provide a good
> example right now, but what about localizations where many labels have
> very similar characters ?

I think the best is to let Cocoon users decide about this. Is they want
universal or localized (l10n) accesskey.

If the above is true, then we need to support the l10n and user that does
not want l10n, simply avoid this feature.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
Hi Sylvain,

> I don't agree here: vi is not i18nized and gives no visual feedback on
> what its commands are. The purpose of access keys is to provide fast
> access to fields that are _displayed_ in the page. And as the label of
> these fields varies with the language, so should vary the access keys.
> The fact that the access key must be present in the label text also
> enforces this.

hmm... the question is, does it always make sense to forcefully vary the
access keys along with the field names when another language is used ? I
agree, when using the concept of underlining the access key of fields,
this requires the character to be present in the label, but perhaps
other concepts might be more feasable in the long term, as this
requirement might backlash in some cases; I cannot provide a good
example right now, but what about localizations where many labels have
very similar characters ?

> And "habitualization" is related to what you usually need. Switch to
> another language version of the office applications you usually use,
> and you'll see that menu shortcuts will change also. An example that
> comes to mind is MS Word, where "bold" is ctrl-B in english but ctrl-G
> in french because the french for bold is "gras".

As a consequence, explaining to someone how to make text bold in MS Word
has to take into account the used localization of the application
although the semantics of the task stay the same. The same applies when
eg. you are working abroad, having to adapt to the new localization of
commands for exactly the same tasks you previously used without having
to think about explicitly.

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

<snip/>

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On 21 Nov 2003, at 09:48, Marc Portier wrote:

> where
> <message key="prompt.name"><wi:accesskey>N</wi:accesskey>ame:</message>
>
> ? hm, I don't actually don't know if current i18n transformer is
> supporting mixed content-model messages, anyone?

I find this works :

but not this:

HTH

regards Jeremy

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by mr...@collegenet.com.
news <ne...@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 11/21/2003 01:02:28 AM:

> I also noticed that, although the HTML spec recommends to underline the
> accesskey in the label, no browser seems to do it. Any hint/advice on
this?

> Sylvain

This CSS is very nice:

label:after {content:"(" attr(accesskey) ") "}

where accesskey attribute is set in <label>, automatically displays the
accesskey attribute after the <label> element (you need to i18n the
accesskey attribute)

The after pseudo-element also works for widget elements, e.g.

input:after {content:"(" attr(accesskey) ") "}

where accesskey attribute is set in <input> widget

Additional clever ways to use attr(accesskey) are described in:
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/reveal-accesskey/

This works only for Mozilla, Netscape6+, Konqueror, and Safari. No MSIE;
although I haven't checked MSIE 6.x.  (Personally, I don't care.)

--Michael (who is having trouble keeping up with Woody posts, much less
the pace of development)

Re: [Woody] - status?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.