Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2007/04/09 10:59:43 UTC

the progress with the release

About 13 hours to go until the announcement of the code-freeze.

We are up to the section "Preparing the code base"
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#PrepCodeBase
Anyone can help with this phase.

Whatever is still left to do after our night, i will try to pick up
tomorrow after the code-freeze. However i expect i will be pretty
busy with the other stuff, so the review of plugins descriptors
and deploying might not get done. Remember there were differences
revealed when Ross started work on the automation of plugins.xml
descriptors.

-David

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > The release packages are currently being uploaded to
> > the mirrors. When a good proportion of them have received
> > it, i will do the announcement.
> > http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#UploadAndAnnounce
>
> About a third of the mirrors have received the release.
>
> So i am going to publish our website now. It willl miss the
> cutoff time for the rsync that does the final publish,
> so will catch the next hour. By the time it becomes
> public (20 minutes past the hour), then sufficient
> mirrors should have the release.
>
> Would people please review the site to ensure
> that all is okay.
>
> You can do that in your local trunk site-author
> or via the public site using the preview proxy trick
> described in:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/#web
> http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html

Sorry, hold on for about 15 minutes if you want
to do the latter. I cannot do the 'svn up' on the
server until the previous rsync has finished.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The tags have been created and the release branch is ready.
I will explain that in a separate message.

The docs_0_90 are ready for the next phase of development.
I will explain that in a separate message.

The code freeze has ended.

However please don't publish the website yet. I will do that
later in the release process.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The vote was successful, so i will start to work
through the steps at
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#FinalRel

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
I did the Jira administration noted in
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#cleanup

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> However it fails on its site-author. I think that
>> is it because the "gloaary" plugin need to be
>> deployed to the site from whiteboard. Going to do
>> that now, then upload the packages to people.apache.org
>
> Hmmm, i cannot get the whiteboard "glossary" plugin
> to deploy. Some problem with its changes.html etc.
>
> Would someone else please try.

I deployed without a problem, not sure why you saw problems.

Just got to wait for the site to update before we can run the tests.

Ross

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:46:25PM +1000, David Crossley wrote:

> Now at step #12
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#BuildDist
>
> The end is in sight.

Why did i say that !!! Six hours later i have a
working release candidate package.

However it fails on its site-author. I think that
is it because the "gloaary" plugin need to be
deployed to the site from whiteboard. Going to do
that now, then upload the packages to people.apache.org

Will get back to you soon with instructions for
the test and vote.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> From: David Crossley
> >
> > Now on to the rest of the section:
> > "Building the release candidate packages".
> >
> > -David
>
> Thanks for these update notes, I'm trying to follow your progress
> and these help a lot.

:-)

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Gav...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> If anyone is trying to follow along, i am up to the
> early phases of
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#adjustDocs
>
> Already found three extra steps. Scribbling on the
> doc for next time.

Woops, a bit of delay with more missing steps. Getting the
"Versioned docs" tab working is ticky. I need to look
at the 0.7 release setup and see how we did it.

Anyway, dinner time now. Back soon.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > The new Vote request went out yesterday. See the separate thead.
> > >
> > > Reminder that there are about 17 hours remaining.
> > >
> > > Then, if successful, we go to the upload and announcement
> > > phase.
> >
> > I'm very busy at the moment and may not be able to test RC2 today (there
> > was no need for it by the way, it was a plugin deployment issue that had
> > already been fixed, but what the heck, better safe than sorry)
>
> No, you are wrong this plugin deployment issue caused that the war
> target did not work probably (no jars have been deployed to
> WEB-INF/lib). So we absolutely needed to updated RC1 further the
> properties system was failing for standalone servlet container. Bottom
> line there was all the need there is.
>
> You encountered problems with the site-author and war that is the
> problem that RC2 fixes.

As Release Manager i decided to extend the vote period
for another 24 hours. See the Vote thread.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 09:22 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >> We decided that we do need a new release candidate RC2.
> >> That is currently being built and uploaded. There will
> >> be a new Vote thread soon.
> >
> > The new Vote request went out yesterday. See the separate thead.
> >
> > Reminder that there are about 17 hours remaining.
> >
> > Then, if successful, we go to the upload and announcement
> > phase.
>
> I'm very busy at the moment and may not be able to test RC2 today (there
> was no need for it by the way, it was a plugin deployment issue that had
> already been fixed, but what the heck, better safe than sorry)

No, you are wrong this plugin deployment issue caused that the war
target did not work probably (no jars have been deployed to
WEB-INF/lib). So we absolutely needed to updated RC1 further the
properties system was failing for standalone servlet container. Bottom
line there was all the need there is.

You encountered problems with the site-author and war that is the
problem that RC2 fixes.

salu2

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> We decided that we do need a new release candidate RC2.
>> That is currently being built and uploaded. There will
>> be a new Vote thread soon.
>
> The new Vote request went out yesterday. See the separate thead.
>
> Reminder that there are about 17 hours remaining.
>
> Then, if successful, we go to the upload and announcement
> phase.

I'm very busy at the moment and may not be able to test RC2 today (there
was no need for it by the way, it was a plugin deployment issue that had
already been fixed, but what the heck, better safe than sorry)

I was heading for a +1 on RC1 so if I fail to vote it's because I've not
specifically tested RC2, but am happy to see RC2 go ahead under the
assumption that others who are voting, have tested it.

Ross

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> For my personal site, the Odt plugin is not found (need to be deployed ?)

Whiteboard plugins have *not* been deployed, unless someone asks for
them. In your case you can do it yourself ;-)

Ross

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <cy...@pcotech.fr>.
David Crossley a écrit :
> Keeping this "progress" thread happening ...
>
> We fixed some quite serious problems with the
> deployment of plugins. Thanks to those who helped
> with the testing and fixing.
>
> So far we do not need another release candidate.
>
> People are still encouraged to test on sites that
> have more complex needs.
>
> If there are whiteboard plugins thyat you want
> to be deployed up-to-date, then don't forget to ask.
>
> -David

My results...

My configuration :
============
java -version
   java version "1.4.2_08"
   Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_08-b03)

System
   Windows XP Professional
   Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Forrest Bar :
=========
The forrest bar of our site is not the latest one.

Proxy configuration :
==============
I forgot to configure my proxy host and port.
The build test apparently worked, both sites Skinned and Dispatcher were
generated and only the pdf plugin was in the build/plugins directory.
After a recursive diff, I can tell you this :
Both sites are identical but the following files :

   * forrest.properties
   * .\build\tmp\pluginlist2fetchbuild.xml
   * .\build\tmp\projfilters.properties
   * .\build\tmp\cocoon-work\cache-dir\cocoon-ehcache-1.data
   * .\build\tmp\cocoon-work\cache-dir\cocoon-ehcache-1.index
   * .\build\webapp\WEB-INF\logs\core.log
   * .\build\webapp\WEB-INF\logs\error.log

After proxy configuration, I had no problem with forrest test (skinned
site and dispatcher site)
For my personal site, the Odt plugin is not found (need to be deployed ?)

I will check under Mandriva Linux 2007 when I have time...

Regards,
Cyriaque,

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> About 13 hours to go until the announcement of the code-freeze.
>
> We are up to the section "Preparing the code base"
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#PrepCodeBase
> Anyone can help with this phase.
>
> Whatever is still left to do after our night, i will try to pick up
> tomorrow after the code-freeze. However i expect i will be pretty
> busy with the other stuff, so the review of plugins descriptors
> and deploying might not get done. Remember there were differences
> revealed when Ross started work on the automation of plugins.xml
> descriptors.

I'm about to start going through the plugins and deploy then to ensure
latest dev code is in the download location, although I'm on child duty
today so be prepared for sparodic work, I'll start at the top of the
list and work down so when you see a plugin deployed, that's ow far I've
got.

Note, a deploy is not the same as a release although deployed plugins
will always be used if no version number is supplied.

Ross

RE: the progress with the release

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Luckily now we have two mail lists to deal with these, and I filter
these into their own folders in my mail client so I can browse
through them at my leisure.

Gav...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >There are a stack of scribbled notes on my printout
> >of the "How_to_release" doc. I will try to incorporate
> >those tomorrow while it is still fresh.

Okay i have those integrated now. This document has
evolved over every release of Forrest. I have found
it extremely beneficial as a reminder of what to do
next time.
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html

> >We need to talk soon about how to refine the process
> >further. We also need to look at why it took us so long
> >to get around to even starting this process.
>
> +1. I will write up a proposal on this (I can do it as part of my paid
> job since OSS Watch will be able to use it as a briefing note)

That would be a wonderful alliance. What a good way to
actively foster open source.

> >I would like us to wait with that conversation until after
> >the weekend. I need a rest. When taking on the Release Manager
> >job, i knew that it would be a huge task. Looking around
> >at release notes of other projects, i see that they warn
> >about that too.
>
> It will take me at least until mid next week to write the proposal, so
> rest well.

I will try ;-)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> As you saw, the release announcement is now done.
>
> Would someone please do the Freshmeat update and
> the Wikipedia update. See the links at the end
> of the section:
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#cleanup

I'm on it.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Would someone please do the Freshmeat update and
> the Wikipedia update. See the links at the end
> of the section:
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#cleanup

I can't do the freshmeat update, Jeff Turner and Cheche are listed at
admins, I thought I was too, but I'm not.

Can Jeff or Cheche please add me as an admin (freshmeat userner "rgardler")

Ross

Re: the progress with the release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
As you saw, the release announcement is now done.

Would someone please do the Freshmeat update and
the Wikipedia update. See the links at the end
of the section:
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#cleanup

I will try the xml.apache.org site update tomorrow.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >So it is vital that someone using that operating system
> >reports success with RC1 release candidate package.
>
> Don't worry David, I'm on it, but I'm taking my time to make sure it
> gets my full focus. Don't expect a report from me until towards the end
> of the test cycle as I'm grabbing half hour here and half hour there.
>
> For now, assume no news (from me) is good news.

In general i do things the same way. Speak up
if there are issues, otherwise use the time to
do things.

In this situation we at least someone on plain Windows
to say "Hooray, it basically works, now i will get on
with more testing." Then the Release Manager is
relieved that the package is constructed properly.

> So far so good. ...

:-)

> ... The dispatcher was failing, but I'm awaiting a proper
> deploy of the plugins (I notice Thorsten fixed the site, thanks).

Yep, i haven't bothered yet to test my dispatcher-based
sites because i knew it wasn't deployed.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Some notes about the progress with the release.

The call for testing and subsequent voting
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/24024

Less than five days remain.

We have one comment that it works. Thanks Paul.

This is the first release where we have not built
the Windows package using Windows. We think that the
line-endings for .bat files and the like are okay,
but cannot be sure.

So it is vital that someone using that operating system
reports success with RC1 release candidate package.

If not then we need to create another ASAP.
Saturday is the scheduled day for an RC2 if necessary,
However if we know that there are problems then
the sooner the better.

If there continues to be a lack of interest,
then the product is in danger of not being released.

Lack of interest indicates that there might not be
sufficient community base to support the product.

People should each have their own guidelines for
testing and reviewing release candidates, and what
factors that they consider will impact their vote.
Mostly it is common-sense stuff, but if you need
help then see:
http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases

-David