Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/09/16 03:09:31 UTC

quick reference

Here's a quick first-draft of a "directive quick reference" that shows
the syntax/context/default of each directive.  At minimum it is a good
resources for documenters to check what things need to be fixed.

Any opinions?

Joshua.

Re: quick reference

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Erik Abele wrote:

>> Perhaps we could add some sort of 'alphabet bar' as in
>> directives.xml/.html; this makes searching much easier.

+1.
(but I'm not sure, where it may occur...)

> One specific question: Should we make this two-lines per directive and
> include the <description> on the second line, or is that too much stuff?

also +1.

just played around with the document and added some quickhack CSS.
unfortunately, the MSIE doesn't like rules like 'tr td + td' or 'tr
td:first-child'. *grmpf* So, if we want to apply a CSS to all columns
but the first we have to use a class (or 'style').

Although I like the alternating background, I find it hard to scan. So I
made the gray a bit brighter and added some border to limit the columns
for reader's eyes.

Last, but not least, I would exchange the last two columns. IMHO the
context is more important than the status.

nd
--
If God intended people to be naked, they would be born that way.
  -- Oscar Wilde

Re: quick reference

Posted by Astrid Kessler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote in news:3D8630AB.5000702@slive.ca:

>> I would instead suggest to combine these work with the directive
>> index. Why having two documents with mainly the same content?
>
> Because the directive index is something that needs to be fast-loading
> and simple since it is used frequently.  The quick reference will have
> much more content, and will really require a large browser window.
> Therefore I believe it makes sense to keep them seperate.  Plus, with
> the xml/xslt, there is no duplication of effort.  An update to a
> module doc will flow automatically into both the index and the quick
> reference.

hm, sure it's no more effort. But not so much more content.
But you are right, a lists loads faster. A table has much more code
overhead and is a layout calculation problem for most browsers. Hm, I
didn't realized that. ... because I'm using my local version of
documentation :-)

For diffenrent documents: +1 to add the description.

Kess

Re: quick reference

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Astrid Kessler wrote:
>>One specific question: Should we make this two-lines per directive and
>>include the <description> on the second line, or is that too much stuff?
>

> -0
> I would instead suggest to combine these work with the directive index. Why
> having two documents with mainly the same content?

Because the directive index is something that needs to be fast-loading
and simple since it is used frequently.  The quick reference will have
much more content, and will really require a large browser window.
Therefore I believe it makes sense to keep them seperate.  Plus, with
the xml/xslt, there is no duplication of effort.  An update to a module
doc will flow automatically into both the index and the quick reference.

Other opinions.

Re: quick reference

Posted by Astrid Kessler <ke...@kess-net.de>.

Re: quick reference

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
> Erik Abele wrote:
>> Hi Joshua !
>>> Here's a quick first-draft of a "directive quick reference" that
>>> shows the syntax/context/default of each directive.  At minimum it
>>> is a good resources for documenters to check what things need to be
>>> fixed.
>>>
>>> Any opinions?
>>>
>>> Joshua.
>> great! this was on my todo too, but I didn't get to it up to now ;-)
>> Perhaps we could add some sort of 'alphabet bar' as in
>> directives.xml/.html; this makes searching much easier.
>
> Yes, that would be nice.
>
> One specific question: Should we make this two-lines per directive and
> include the <description> on the second line, or is that too much
> stuff?

IMO this would be fine. Although it is much information in one place,
it is very easy to overlook. But more than two lines would be
definitely to much for my mingy brain :-)

+1 on this.

erik

Re: quick reference

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: quick reference

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
Hi Joshua !

> Here's a quick first-draft of a "directive quick reference" that shows
> the syntax/context/default of each directive.  At minimum it is a good
> resources for documenters to check what things need to be fixed.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Joshua.

great! this was on my todo too, but I didn't get to it up to now ;-)
Perhaps we could add some sort of 'alphabet bar' as in
directives.xml/.html; this makes searching much easier.

Another idea: it would be awesome if we could show the corresponding
MPMs for the mpm-secific directives in another column. Don't know if
this is easily possible with our current xsl-model...? any ideas?

for example:
CoreDumpDirectory         worker, perchild, prefork, mpm_winnt
MaxSpareThreads           mpm_netware, perchild, worker
MaxThreadsPerChild        worker, perchild
NumServers                perchild

hmmm, perhaps this is to much for a quick-reference?

Erik