Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com> on 2000/07/09 17:42:50 UTC

load related problem

I've been load testing an xsp application (one of the eurofootball apps) and
am having difficulty determining the origin of this exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
    at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
    at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
    at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.xspExpr(Compiled Code)
    at
_opt._IBMHTTPD._htdocs._en_US._editorial._gb_home.populateDocument(Compiled
Code)

it only occurs when I bring the load up to about 40 to 50 concurrent
requests (per second).

I'm wondering if it's because the method within the xsp:expr isn't returning
(which shouldn't happen and doesn't under less load) or whether it's
something else?

Any ideas ?

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'

Evan S. Connell

Re: load related problem

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mark Washeim wrote:

> on 10/7/00 6:52 pm, Mark Washeim at esalon@canuck.com wrote:

> >> one might also check and see if the library method being invoked by
> >> xsp:expr is the cause of the null pointer by simply forking 40-50 threads
> >> and repeatedly call it from them. my gut says that xsp is the problem, but
> >> it'd be good to eliminate the external possibilities first. other likely
> >> candidate is the jvm.
> >>
> >> - donald
> >>

> For those of you who are macintosh fans, you'll be pleased with this:
>
> I can't reproduce the outOfMemory error related problems I get when testing
> on Solaris (an Enterprise 250 machine with 2 processors and 1 GB of RAM) . .
> . It's amazing.
>
> The mac I tested on is a G4 with 256 mb of ram. Tomcat 3.1 used as the
> servlet engine (and webserver).
>
> Even running 30 or 40 concurrent threads, XSPUtil.cloneNode kept on
> churning.
>
> It's so wierd that a deficient virtual memory scheme like the mac's could
> deal with this.

I told you, it's a GC problem: try IBM 1.3 on Linux.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: load related problem

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.

Re: load related problem

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.
on 10/7/00 5:31 am, Donald Ball at balld@webslingerZ.com wrote:

>> Mark Washeim wrote:
>>
>>> I've been load testing an xsp application (one of the eurofootball apps) and
>>> am having difficulty determining the origin of this exception:
>>>
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.xspExpr(Compiled Code)
>>> at
>>> _opt._IBMHTTPD._htdocs._en_US._editorial._gb_home.populateDocument(Compiled
>>> Code)
>>>
>>> it only occurs when I bring the load up to about 40 to 50 concurrent
>>> requests (per second).
>>
>> Interesting thorughput :o)
>>
>>> I'm wondering if it's because the method within the xsp:expr isn't returning
>>> (which shouldn't happen and doesn't under less load) or whether it's
>>> something else?
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> One might wonder if some OutOfMemoryError has been caught and ignored...
>
> one might also check and see if the library method being invoked by
> xsp:expr is the cause of the null pointer by simply forking 40-50 threads
> and repeatedly call it from them. my gut says that xsp is the problem, but
> it'd be good to eliminate the external possibilities first. other likely
> candidate is the jvm.
>
> - donald

Ok. It's not xsp per se. It's the number of objects created during
XSPUtil.cloneNode() operations, performed recursively over 4 to 5 times.

I'm just toying with the jvm
-oss
and
-ss
options to see if allocating more stack RAM (in the 10s of mb) will make a
difference...

Otherwise, I'll have to remove one dom-wise operation and add some
application structure to deal with the issue (sigh) . . .

Can't believe this is an issue. Bloody jvm. :(

Re: load related problem

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Re: load related problem

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.
on 10/7/00 5:02 am, Niclas Hedhman at niclas@localbar.com wrote:

> Mark Washeim wrote:
>
>> I've been load testing an xsp application (one of the eurofootball apps) and
>> am having difficulty determining the origin of this exception:
>>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.xspExpr(Compiled Code)
>> at
>> _opt._IBMHTTPD._htdocs._en_US._editorial._gb_home.populateDocument(Compiled
>> Code)
>>
>> it only occurs when I bring the load up to about 40 to 50 concurrent
>> requests (per second).
>
> Interesting thorughput :o)
>
>> I'm wondering if it's because the method within the xsp:expr isn't returning
>> (which shouldn't happen and doesn't under less load) or whether it's
>> something else?
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>
> One might wonder if some OutOfMemoryError has been caught and ignored...
>
> Niclas

Turns out that this is the case. I was unable to see it while running under
Websphere. When running with the same jvm and settings ( -ms 512m -mx768m )
under solaris (7x) with tomcat, I can see the out of memory error being
generated, whereupon, xsp stops producing that page...

Ok, any ideas for a fix (this has been stalling me for more than a week now,
sigh) . . .

Re: load related problem

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com>.
Mark Washeim wrote:

> I've been load testing an xsp application (one of the eurofootball apps) and
> am having difficulty determining the origin of this exception:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.xspExpr(Compiled Code)
>     at
> _opt._IBMHTTPD._htdocs._en_US._editorial._gb_home.populateDocument(Compiled
> Code)
>
> it only occurs when I bring the load up to about 40 to 50 concurrent
> requests (per second).

Interesting thorughput :o)