Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anthony John <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/24 21:36:09 UTC

Does CL on "ALL" have special semantics like "ANY" does

All:

So "ANY" CL seems to mean that Write (and read) on any node, even if it is a
hinted handoff, and return success. Correct ?
Guessing this accommodates node failure - right ?

Does "ALL"  succeed even if there is a single surviving replica for the
given piece of data ?
Again, tolerates node failure. Does it really mean - from ALL surviving
nodes ?

-JA

Re: Does CL on "ALL" have special semantics like "ANY" does

Posted by "baskar.duraikannu.db@gmail.com" <ba...@gmail.com>.
  Even though the client did not get a success message, it is possible
that write may have succeeded on one of the replicas.  Let us say that
client did a retry and the write succeeded.

Let us also assume that I was trying to withdraw $100. Initially $100
was withdrawn as per one of the replicas. Since all replicas did not
respond, client retries, results in another $100 withdrawal.

During the hinted hand off/read repair, will first $100 succeed on other
replicas? if so, is there a way to avoid this inconsistency?

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.