Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roland Carlsson <ro...@alfa-moving.se> on 2005/01/19 09:04:47 UTC

Consolidate webapplications

Hi!

We have a lot of small webservers running it's own special task, from
router-admins to Outlook Web Access to the company public pages.

All these servers is in a private network with one public ip. Today we have
solved the problems with accessing these webservers from internet by
assigning them different portnumbers but its hard for the users to remember
what application is where.

So, we are looking for a way to proxy our webserver into one portal that
instead of using a filesystem can access other web-servers to get the pages
for the users.

What would be a good way of doing this? Is there any existing products for
this scenario?

Thanks in advance
Roland Carlsson

Re: Consolidate webapplications

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Just a suggestion for a simple alternative. If the URL is of no concern then
simply a page of links to each service would point the user to proper port.
All they need to remember is one page and that one can be put on the
standard port 80. You could even put it behind a login. Thus no proxy, no
jk, no added systems.

Just another approach.

Doug

Posted by Duong BaTien <du...@gmail.com>.
Roland Carlsson wrote:

>Hi!
>
>We have a lot of small webservers running it's own special task, from
>router-admins to Outlook Web Access to the company public pages.
>
>All these servers is in a private network with one public ip. Today we have
>solved the problems with accessing these webservers from internet by
>assigning them different portnumbers but its hard for the users to remember
>what application is where.
>
>So, we are looking for a way to proxy our webserver into one portal that
>instead of using a filesystem can access other web-servers to get the pages
>for the users.
>
>What would be a good way of doing this? Is there any existing products for
>this scenario?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Roland Carlsson

Hello Roland:

We define portal as a web-based application that provides
personalization, single signOn, and content aggregation from different
sources. It hosts the presentation layer of a global Corporate
Information System http://www.dbgroups.com/do/public/products/psi.do

In this sense, it is an aggregation of a number of applications which
are traditionally accessed via a url (either with different ports or
different context). User can continue to use different url (either to
applications, sites, departments, divisions, etc) but these urls are all
pointed via DNS to the same portal site which has different welcome
access points. Depending on the requested url, appropriate welcome page
is presented via jsp forward mechanism.

Each page in the portal can be configured which fragments it wants to be
loaded to make up a portal page: meta description and keywords for
search in the case of info pages, big picture to encapsulate the page in
proper context, a small picture to actually describe the page, a
complete site of the page owner (application, department, division, etc)
such as the owner logo, menu, special offers, and copyright. Each
application can be developed (or already existed) as a standard service
or portlet application. This kind of portal will soon be demonstrated in
http://myportal.myb2cb2b.com and delivered under existing standards.

BaTien
DBGROUPS

SV: SV: Consolidate webapplications

Posted by Roland Carlsson <ro...@alfa-moving.se>.
Hi again!

I check mod_proxy and it does what I wanted it to do.

Thaks again!

Roland Carlsson

Posted by Roland Carlsson <ro...@alfa-moving.se>.
Thanks for your answer!