Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sean Correia <Se...@eaw.com> on 2002/02/07 15:22:14 UTC

Language translation

I've got a decent sized website, around 350 static pages + another 350
database generated pages that are news and product information. We want
to add a Spanish version of our site and I'm not really sure how to go
about doing this.

Is the only way to do this to mirror the static pages and the database
in whatever language I want? That gets ugly when I start having 5 or 6
language options and would ideally like an option that won't become a
pain should be add more languages.

RedHat 6.0
MySql/3.22
Apache/1.3.14, mod_perl/1.24.01

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Language translation

Posted by Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <av...@fortytwo.ch>.
On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:22, Sean Correia wrote:
> I've got a decent sized website, around 350 static pages + another 350
> database generated pages that are news and product information. We want
> to add a Spanish version of our site and I'm not really sure how to go
> about doing this.
>
> Is the only way to do this to mirror the static pages and the database
> in whatever language I want? That gets ugly when I start having 5 or 6
> language options and would ideally like an option that won't become a
> pain should be add more languages.

You should probably look into something like a content management system
(with cocoon, axkit, turbine, write one with php, use jsp's, whatever)
and have content and layout properly separated (if you haven't already,
that is).

Of course, translating is always a major project (especially keeping
translations always up to date) - but having defined an input format for
the content which does not contain any layout info you should be able to
delegate most of the work to the people delivering your content, and
have the web page generator framework (whatever you use) chose the right
source file at run time. Of course, a certain level of duplication is
not to be avoided.

DB: I'm not sure what's the best way to go here. maybe split the db in
one containing the language-independent data (prices, whatever), and one
with only the textual data.

-- vbi