Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "bihan.chandu" <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/29 07:36:08 UTC

Solr High GC issue

Hi All

I am Currently using solr 3.6.1 and my system handle lot of request .Now we
are facing High GC issue in system. Please find the memory parameters in my
solr system . Can some on help me to identify is there any relationship
between my memory parameters and GC issue.

MEM_ARGS="-Xms7936M -Xmx7936M -XX:NewSize=512M -XX:MaxNewSize=512M -Xss1024k
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=80 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly
-XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=2m -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15
-XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M
-XX:SurvivorRatio=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -XX:+PrintGC
-Xloggc:${GCLOG} -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-XX:-BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -verbose:gc -XX:StackShadowPages=20"

Thanks
Bihan

Re: Solr High GC issue

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
BTW, memory usage is _much_ better in Solr 4.x, if it's at all an option
you might consider upgrading. See:
http://searchhub.org/2012/04/06/memory-comparisons-between-solr-3x-and-trunk/

Best,
Erick

RE: Solr High GC issue

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Re: Solr High GC issue

Posted by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>.
@rulinma:

I've analyzed all your messages and noticed you keep sending useless "mark"
and "good". Are you trying to spam the mailing list? Could you please stop
doing this?
E-mail clients these days have bookmarking / staring in case you want to
save the "good" post for later reading or "mark" it otherwise.

Thanks,

Dmitry

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM, rulinma <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> mark.

Dmitry Kan
Blog: http://dmitrykan.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dmitrykan

Re: Solr High GC issue

Posted by rulinma <ru...@gmail.com>.
mark.

Re: Solr High GC issue

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Agreed, that is a LOT of options.

First, check the defaults and remove any flags that are setting something to the default. You can see all the flags and the default values with this command:

java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version

For example, the default for ParallelGCThreads is 8, so you do not need to set that.

We set a fairly large new generation, about 1/4 of heap. 512 Meg is way too small. Solr will allocate a lot of objects that are only used to handle one HTTP request. You want all of those to fit in the new space, even when there are simultaneous requests. If new is not big enough, they will be allocated in tenured space and will cause more frequent major GCs. For an 8G heap, we use a 2G new size.

wunder

RE: Solr High GC issue

Posted by Boogie Shafer <bo...@ebrary.com>.
you will probably also want to get some better visibility into what is going on with your JVM and GC

easiest way is to enable some GC logging options. the following additional options will give you a good deal of information in gc logs

-Xloggc:$JETTY_LOGS/gc.log
-verbose:gc
-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution
-XX:+PrintClassHistogram
-XX:+PrintHeapAtGC
-XX:+PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime
-XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime
-XX:+PrintPromotionFailure
-XX:+PrintAdaptiveSizePolicy
-XX:+PrintTLAB
-XX:PrintFLSStatistics=1
-XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation
-XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5
-XX:GCLogFileSize=10m

you may find you have a particular portion of your heap which is undersized

using G1GC with the adaptive sizing is a very handy way to deal with the memory usage in solr which can be somewhat difficult to tune optimally using the traditional static ratios (what works well for data ingestion is probably not optimal for searching)

once you have a baseline of logs using your existing JVM sizings and the additional logging options above you might try switching from CMS to G1GC with adaptive sizing,  and removing all the static tunings for tenuring and ratios and compare to a very minimal G1GC config

-XX:+UseG1GC
-XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=1000

--

configuring the JMX interface is another way to get real time views into what is going on using jconsole or jvisualvm tools

Re: Solr High GC issue

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bihan,

Re: Solr High GC issue

Posted by "bihan.chandu" <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

Thanks for the Suggestion. I will implement this changes and let us know the
update

Regards
Bihan