Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2003/08/23 16:13:11 UTC

Apache/mod_authz_svn configuration for anonymous repository browsing

Hi !

I was searching for information on how to setup anonymous browsing, and
no mention of it is made in the book.  The
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL
mentions that we need a dummy anonymous account, but I could not find any
more information about that.

Would someone be so kind as to help me out ?  I created a user named
anonymous with no password.  But, when I browse the repository, I still
have to say that I am anonymous.

Can this be prevented ?

Thanks for any help,
François
Developer of Java Gui Builder
http://jgb.sourceforge.net/

Re: Apache/mod_authz_svn configuration for anonymous repository browsing

Posted by Greg Thomas <Gr...@TheThomasHome.co.uk>.
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:13:11 -0400, "Francois Beausoleil"
<fb...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I created a user named
> anonymous with no password.  But, when I browse the repository, I still
> have to say that I am anonymous.

You could always try publishing the URL as
http://anonymous@wherever.domain/svn - i.e. pass the authentication
details in the URL.

Greg

Re: Apache/mod_authz_svn configuration for anonymous repository browsing

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hello Seth,

Hey !  Thanks for the info.  Will try it out.

Bye !
François

Posted by Seth Falcon <sf...@fhcrc.org>.

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Thanks,

That would not work though.  I want some parts of it protected and others
publicly available.

Thanks anyway,
François

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:34:39 +0200, "Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org>

Posted by John Locke <ma...@freelock.com>.
Sander Striker wrote:

> [...]
What about using mod_auth_anon? Set up an anonymous user that doesn't
require a password, but does require them to type in the name... then
use the name in mod_authz_svn?

Question about this: the Apache manual for authentication modules states
that they're applied in the order specified in modules.c. In a
pre-compiled Apache without the sources, how can I determine the
sequence that's been compiled in? Is there any run-time command I can use?

Cheers,
John Locke
http://freelock.com