Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM> on 2002/01/11 19:27:02 UTC

Who does this stuff? and Christian

Is there a list of committers and/or contributors to FOP somewhere?
Shouldn't there be one - at least the committers? I looked quickly through
the FOP site and did not see it anywhere.

I was thinking about this, because after seeing a long stream of
contributions from Christian over the past several weeks, it occurred to me
that if he is not already a committer, he should probably be one. Maybe I
missed it, but I do not recall a vote on this or anything - but maybe it is
just my memory failing me.

Art

RE: [VOTE] Re: Who does this stuff? and Christian

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
We now have 4 +1 votes I believe. I doubt that we'll get any -1's. :-)

Unless any of the other committers (who have not voted yet) have any
objections, I'll ask Brian B. tomorrow AM to set Christian up as a
committer. Sound good?

Arved

> > I was thinking about this, because after seeing a long stream of
> > contributions from Christian over the past several weeks, it
> occurred to me
> > that if he is not already a committer, he should probably be
> one. Maybe I
> > missed it, but I do not recall a vote on this or anything - but
> maybe it is
> > just my memory failing me.
>
> I think we still need two positive committer votes. I've added [VOTE] to
> the subject for better visibility. :-)

+1

Tore

Posted by Tore Engvig <te...@manamind.com>.

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
I'd put in a +1 vote some time ago, actually.

Arved

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.

Re: Any real-life business use ?

Posted by José María Pérez Villadeamigo <jm...@cedt.junta-andalucia.es>.
Hello

I´m using fop in a real java application. This application manages customer
orders, invoices, articles and stock, to help the user in his shoes
fabrication bussines. All the reports (invoices, orders, fabrication order
and many list reports) are made using fop. The length of this report goes
from 1 to 30 pages ~.

All the report formats are pdf. The application generate XML files and my
report system passes this xml file and a xsl file throw fop. The speed is
good and also the final result for the user (my "bosses"). They use these
reports in their real bussines (invoice, order, etc).

Bye.
José Mª

Posted by Jozef Chocholacek <Jo...@qbizm.com>.
     Hello (world :)!

Patrick Andries wrote:

> I have busy evaluated the FO technology and I would like to hear from
> people that are using it for real-life business needs.
>
> What kind of documents are they using it with ? What volume ? Embedding
> it in servlets ? How do they cope with the "speed" ? How do they justify
> using FO to their bosses ?
>
> Anybody with both 3B2 and FO  or Compuset and FO experience ? I would
> love to hear your story.

   We use FOP in commercial projects, e.g. for generating documents for
life insurance (proposals, policies, change requests, claims, payment
orders, ...) in front-end application (servlet based).

   We integrated (a little patched) FOP into HyperQbs
(http://www.hyperqbs.org) as an alternative parser and we use it that way.

   We (and our clients too) are satisfied with quality of documents
generated by FOP except of problems with "keep-with-next" attribute
which is not implemented correctly yet. This is the only complaint we have.

   Best regards,

J.Ch.
--
Ing. Jozef Chocholacek                  Qbizm Technologies, Inc.
Chief Project Analyst                   ... the art of internet.

Re: Any real-life business use ?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ba...@nicolaken.com>.
Posted by Patrick Andries <pa...@videotron.ca>.
Thank you very much to all that have answered, the messages as well as
support one seems to get from the list are indeed encouraging.

I still have one general question and a specific one :

1) Volume and speed

I have written a small report: a  five-column table, a page footer
(simple text), a page header with a largish colour logo. I embedded the
FOP generation (XSLT + FOP) in a servlet using the supplied standard
code (viz. using XSLTInputHandler as parser). I use Jboss 2.4.4 with
Catalina. My development machine is a Pentium 700 Mhz machine with 254
Meg of memory running Windows NT 2000 Professional. And I don't seem to
get much more than 1-2 pages generated per second (even when the servlet
has already been called). Is this also your experience?  I must say that
I have attempted no optimisation. Any that you might suggest? How do
handle load when several users are requesting reports simultaneously?
Only accept patient users?

2) IE Bug

Alex Mc Lintock wrote that, due to a bug in IE, he had to save the whole
PDF file on disk. I think I have seen this: is this when the PDF file is
interpreted as text and displayed as gibberish in the main navigation
window? Has this not been resolved in later versions of IE? Has the bug
been reported to the MSIE team?

Patrick Andries

-° - ° - ° - °

Tout sur Unicode 3.1 en français http://hapax.iquebec.com
Texte complet de la norme mise à jour, annotations

Re: Any real-life business use ?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
> Am Sonntag, 13. Januar 2002 23:31 schrieben Sie:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I have busy evaluated the FO technology and I would like to hear from
> > people that are using it for real-life business needs.

I have a client who is happily using Fop to produce pretty printable versions
of web tables (lots of financial figures) and charts. They are a very demanding
user and wouldn't accept the system if it didn't do what they wanted.

> > What kind of documents are they using it with ? What volume ? Embedding
> > it in servlets ? How do they cope with the "speed" ? How do they justify
> > using FO to their bosses ?

Tables of Figures and graphical charts.
Low volume indeed (but very powerful machines)
Embedded in servlets but due to IE bugs we sometimes had to save the whole pdf to disk
and then redirect the browser to the saved pdf file. This is *bad* for a high volume site.
The speed is acceptible. Most of the time we actually email the pdf to the user so
speed is not an issue.
My contact in the client company didn't need to specify what tools he used to his superior:
he just needed to produce good printouts from the website.

London Business?
I am looking at providing some free Open Source consultancy to London businesses
so if you run Fop in London please visit http://www.OWAL.co.uk/ and fill in the
questionnaire.

Alex McLintock

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk    Open Source Consultancy in London
OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
---
SF and Computing Book News and Reviews: http://news.diversebooks.com/
Get Your XML T-Shirt <t-shirt/> at http://www.inversity.co.uk/
COMPETITION : http://news.diversebooks.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/08/1947255

Re: Any real-life business use ?

Posted by Enrico Schnepel <en...@gmx.de>.
Hello Patrick,

We are using a patched FOP (0.20.2) for a credit system in a bank. The speed
is fine since we have a server where speed does not matter (Solaris 8 with
SUN Jdk).
we are printing about 1000 documents per day. Most of them have 1-2 pages.
Some up to 20.
Currently we are developing a report generator with FOP. The Reports will
have up to 1000 pages.

Input format: .fo with special tags for pre processing and data insertion
Output format : PDF
Clients for printing (Acrobat Reader): WinNT, Win2000, Win95, OS/2; AR: 3.0
(OS/2), 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 in almost any combination.

Our Customers are satisfied with our printing solution because the old one we
have replaced was using ms word with embedded macros... (OK - it's not realy
a printing 'solution'..., but it had done its job exept with OS/2 (Word Pro)
or Word 2000)

Some comments to FOP:

1. Fop does sometimes hang in an endless loop with entities like &amp; &lt;
and &gt; (these are the only entities we are using; Lang: de, encoding ansi)
if the first word of the line is too long for the whole line in a small table
cell. - thats why we have patched FOP - but it's more a workaround than a
patch and does not resolve the problem. If someone want to get the patch I
will send it.

2. Fop sometimes switches the lines up and down with entities or inline
sequences.

Regards,

Enrico Schnepel

Posted by Thomas Kübler <t....@update.de>.
Hallo,

i used fop for printing postcards with the internet.
you can see it under www.lovelycard.de

thomas kübler

Posted by Matthias Fischer <m....@abc-media.de>.
All in all, we're making good experience in using FOP+Cocoon2 for the
production of technical documentation. Speed is no problem, even with many
images, but requires certain precautions.

Cocoon2 is not always at the hight of FOP, documentation on FOP is
insufficient.

We haven't succeeded yet in embedding fonts (FOP description seems not to
work) and Unicode.

Matthias

Any real-life business use ?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
There's a list in the STATUS file.

Not being a committer I can only say that I'm in favor of granting Christian
committer status (if he wants it). Since obviously there currently aren't
many active committers at the moment, that would do the FOP project some
good.

On 11.01.2002 19:27:02 Art Welch wrote:
> Is there a list of committers and/or contributors to FOP somewhere?
> Shouldn't there be one - at least the committers? I looked quickly through
> the FOP site and did not see it anywhere.
>
> I was thinking about this, because after seeing a long stream of
> contributions from Christian over the past several weeks, it occurred to me
> that if he is not already a committer, he should probably be one. Maybe I
> missed it, but I do not recall a vote on this or anything - but maybe it is
> just my memory failing me.
>
> Art

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Postfach 3954 - Rhynauerstr. 15 - 6002 Luzern
Fon +41 (0)41 317 2020 - Fax +41 (0)41 317 2029

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On 2002.01.11 19:27 Art Welch wrote:
> Is there a list of committers and/or contributors to FOP somewhere?
> Shouldn't there be one - at least the committers? I looked quickly
> through
> the FOP site and did not see it anywhere.

Other projects usually have at least a list of the committers and often a
list of contributors. This is something that could be added to the
website. The xml.apache.org site redesign may have this (read the general
list for more info) as a standard part.
Some info is in the STATUS file but it is out of date.
Are you volunteering to put the information together?

> I was thinking about this, because after seeing a long stream of
> contributions from Christian over the past several weeks, it occurred to
> me
> that if he is not already a committer, he should probably be one. Maybe I
> missed it, but I do not recall a vote on this or anything - but maybe it
> is
> just my memory failing me.

Since I am going to be away for a while after today I will give a
preemptive +1 to that.

Keiron.