Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Victoria Muntean <vi...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/02 08:51:29 UTC

switching between "non-checkout subdir status" to "checked-out subdir" and back

After "flat" checkout, subdirectories are in special status. In this status,
"svn up ." in the parent dir does not pull them from the server. (I
call it "ghosted status", don't know the official name).
This status is different from state when I do "rm -rf SUBDIR". After
"rm -rf SUBDIR", "svn up ." will pull the subdir from the server.
When subdir is in "ghosted status", "svn up ." does not pull subdir
from the server.

My question is, how do I turn subdirectory into "ghosted status" after
full(deep) checkout.
I want to turn subdir into "ghosted status", delete it from disk, so
that subsequent "svn up" will not pull it anymore.

Thanks

And how this status is officially called.

Re: switching between "non-checkout subdir status" to "checked-out subdir" and back

Posted by Stephen Butler <sb...@elego.de>.
Quoting Victoria Muntean <vi...@gmail.com>:

> After "flat" checkout, subdirectories are in special status. In this status,
> "svn up ." in the parent dir does not pull them from the server. (I
> call it "ghosted status", don't know the official name).

By "flat" checkout, I assume you mean "svn checkout --depth immediates".

See the SVN Book for reference.

   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.sparsedirs.html

> This status is different from state when I do "rm -rf SUBDIR". After
> "rm -rf SUBDIR", "svn up ." will pull the subdir from the server.
> When subdir is in "ghosted status", "svn up ." does not pull subdir
> from the server.
>
> My question is, how do I turn subdirectory into "ghosted status" after
> full(deep) checkout.
> I want to turn subdir into "ghosted status", delete it from disk, so
> that subsequent "svn up" will not pull it anymore.

This will come pretty close: update the subdirectory with the option
"--set-depth empty".

Regards,
Steve

--