Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Cave <je...@sunergon.com> on 2004/05/03 17:36:23 UTC

svn ls - could it list non repo directories?

I was wondering if it would be useful for "svn ls" to list non-repository directories. I know this functionality doesn't exist, but I am wondering if it would be considered useful (I know I would like it).

My company is just starting to use version control and we have a lot of small projects for companies. Because we do a lot of projects specifically for the company we have group the projects by company in the file structure:

  repodir

   +- comp1
   |   |
   |   +- proj1
   |   |
   |   +- proj2

   +- comp2

       +- proj1

       +- proj2

We have pointed svnserve at "repodir", but put repositories at the project level. That means it can turn into a guessing game as to what the company or project directory is called.

What I would like to be able to do is something like:

  $> svn ls svn://server
  comp1/
  comp2/
  comp3/

  $> svn ls svn://server/comp2
  proj1/
  proj2/

  $> svn ls svn://server/comp2/proj1
  branch/
  tag/
  trunk/

I'm not sure if this would have to do with svn or svnserve, or if it would even be desirable for most people. But I figured I would throw it out there and see what people think.

If you think this is more a problem of poor repo layout, let me know. I am spearheading this move *and* am learning as I go. Sometimes a difficult position to be in.

I have searched both the issues and the mailing list, but didn't see anything about this. I must admit though... I'm not very good at picking the right search words/phrases.

Jeff Cave

Re: svn ls - could it list non repo directories?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Jeff Cave wrote:

> We have pointed svnserve at "repodir", but put repositories at the project
> level. That means it can turn into a guessing game as to what the company or
> project directory is called.

This is where you are causing your own problems.  svnserve does not include
anything like SVNParentPath (like the Apache module does).  Although that
wouldn't work either, since you are setting up two directory layers above the
actual repository (SVNGrandParentPath???).

What I'd recommend is that you have a single repository per company; this is
also good if the projects should ever need to share any portion of their code
(common libraries).  The way you have organized it makes it much more difficult
to do that.

What you do from there is up to you; if you have completely internal
repositories (i.e. not on the public Internet), I would actually suggest setting
up independent svnserve instances for each company's repository:

	svn://svn-company1
	svn://svn-company2
	svn://svn-company3
	svn://svn-company4

which could still be the same box, but with different svnserve instances bound
to different IP addresses.

OR, you could actually use the protocol intended for this purpose and set up
Apache and use SVNParentPath (since this will work find with 'svn ls' as you
want to use it).

HTH

John

--