Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/10 04:51:04 UTC

OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Hi, I work on the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin, and just discovered the OpenEJB
Eclipse Plugin. I really like what I've seen thus far and have a couple questions:

-- What are the long-term plans for the OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin as far as adding
new functions capabilities ??
-- Do you envision a different set of users for the OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin then
the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin ??
-- What can I do to help ??

Tim McConnell

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I've attached OPENEJB-674-22.diff to the Jira issue which should fix the
issue below.

Cheers

Jon

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Tim,

sorry for being kind of late, I didn't read my Gmail during the last two
days or so. Shame on me :)

Tim McConnell wrote:
> -- What are the long-term plans for the OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin as far as
> adding new functions capabilities ??

The long-term plans are to stabilize the plugin and to get it out of the
sandbox module within the OpenEJB SVN repo as mentioned by Jon already.

As a result we should really provide a binary download plus an update
site  for the plugin.

 From a feature point of view I was emphasizing that we should also try
to add a  focus on I18N like it is supported by Eclipse and context
sensitive help.

I18N allows us to provide an internationalized version of the plugin.

Regarding context sensitive help we created the appropriate plugin
infrastructure already. Jon started to write help contents using
the OpenEJB wiki. Our thought was to merge the Wiki contents into
the help plugin  as soon as we got enough content.

A final feature which comes to mind is an universal plugin foundation
layer that abstracts the functional logic of the current OpenEJB
plugin into a re-usable layer that should be IDE agnostic. I.e.
this particular layer should not know anything about Eclipse, IntelliJ
or Netbeans.

Having such an abstraction layer would then allow to provide actual
IDE plugins on top of it for examplefor Eclipse, IDEA IntelliJ or
Netbeans.

> -- Do you envision a different set of users for the OpenEJB Eclipse
> Plugin then the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin ??

> -- What can I do to help ??

If you are interested in getting help/context sensitive added to the
Geronimo plugin I probably could provide a patch. Same for I18N.

Would it be possible to provide a unified update site which provides
the possibility to install either the Geronimo related feature (I guess
you are using a feature) and/or the OpenEJB feature. That way users
may become aware that both plugins do exist and they then may decide
whether to just use one of them or both.

Regards
Daniel S. Haischt

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
I really like the idea of making an editor for openejb xml. This will really
add value to the plugin.

A weird idea, but something like "drag and drop injection" -- drag a class
and drop it on the ejb class and it will add the annotation automatically.
Don't ask me for details, because even I am not sure about this, the thought
just came to me while writing the email, so I thought, might as well dump it
in this email itself and see if this leads to something ;)

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.