Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by derek_mlist <ml...@mckittrick.us> on 2016/01/25 22:55:30 UTC

Message Group Limitations (how many simulataneous groups are supported?)

Hello,

We are investigating using message groups as a technique to insure "in
order" processing of various IDs.   In the past (2010), I have found posts
mentioning that more than 1024 message groups will trigger an overflow for
the default implementations.
http://scott.cranton.com/2010/09/activemq-message-groups.html

I can't find anything specific that is newer on the topic except "there
could be a massive number of individual message groups we use hash buckets
rather than the actual JMSXGroupID string."     The word "massive" is
ambiguous and relative.   Say we are using social security numbers as our
IDs and have millions of customers.     Is 2 million records going to be
supportable by default?

I also understand hashmaps pretty well.   I don't understand what is meant
by using "hash buckets" rather than the JMSXGroupID string.     In a usual
hashmap implementation a bucket would store a certain number of hashed keys.
What does it matter if the key is stored or a hashed key is stored, and what
is the relation to the bucket?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Re: Message Group Limitations (how many simulataneous groups are supported?)

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
Searching git history, it appears the following commit introduced the change
back in 2013:

468e69765145ddad199963260e4774d179ad5555

That first appears in 5.9.0.  So, it was longer ago than I realized ;-).

Cheers!

Re: Message Group Limitations (how many simulataneous groups are supported?)

Posted by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com>.
*>Using a key such as social security number for message groups is going to
be challenging simply due to the number of groups involved*
This can be overcome by using the hashing technique I described earlier
which has worked out nicely for us YMMV. In practice we've found that more
often than not that the item we wish to group on greatly exceeds 1024 hence
the effectiveness of the hashing method.

*>The default Message Group Map implementation was recently changed to use
an LRU Cache of message groups.*
When did this change? Perhaps I'm missing something but I've looked at the
source for 5.11, 5.12 and 5.13 and they all
​ appear to be​
using CachedMessageGroupMapFactory - and its implementation doesn't appear
to have changed either. Just wondering.

Thanks,
Paul

Posted by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com>.
The default limit is indeed 1024 message groups per destination.

However you increase that by adding the following configuration to your
broker's activemq.xml:

<destinationPolicy>
  <policyMap>
    <policyEntries>
      <policyEntry queue=">">
        <messageGroupMapFactory>
           <cachedMessageGroupMessageFactory cacheSize="2048"/>
        </messageGroupMapFactory>
      </policyEntry>
    </policyEntries>
  </policyMap>
</destinationPolicy>

In addition to cachedMessageGroupMessageFactory (default) there's also the
messageGroupHashBucketFactory and simpleMessageGroupMapFactory factories.
Just dig through the source code. They're all in the
org.apache.activemq.broker.region.group package.

However, it's not advisable to simply increase the cache size to allow for
millions of entries, not least because there's no real way of knowing the
upper limit of how many you'll need.

Therefore you're better off calculating a poor man's hash of the underlying
value mod 1024 to calculate the group id. With such a large many-to-one
mapping many values will map to the same group id. However, that doesn't
matter. As long as the hash of the value is the same each time it's taken
that's all that matters. The groups are only needed to divide the work up
amongst your consumers. Exactly how many values map to each group id is
irrelevant.

Example: an input value of 111-22-1234 might hash to 0xabcd1234. Use that
hash value to calculate the group id:

0xabcd1234 % 1024 = group id

The only thing one has to watch for is ensuring that the distribution of
hash values to group id is uniform. Otherwise you'll end up with consumers
handling much more workload than their fair share.

It's worth noting that if you plan to use message group sequence numbers
(for whatever reason) that you'll have to increment it's value yourself as
the broker doesn't manage the sequence id by default.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Paul