Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Iris Gastañaga <ir...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/03 16:07:22 UTC

ITC's Contribution

Hi all,

    On behalf of ITC (Cordoba Institute of Technology)from Argentina.I
want to offer a code contribution of the
following packages:

- java.math    (led by Daniel Fridlender)
- java.crypto  (led by Miguel Montes)
- java.rmi     (led by Daniel Gándara)

Last year the ITC decided to start a "clean-room" java package
development
project; now we are proud to make this donation and we hope it be
accepted as a valid
contribution (which we believe it is).

Having said this, I do have a few questions:

a) Next Steps?
  which are the next steps? we have read the contribution policy and we
are
ok with that; we'll send aditional questions regarding documents to be
signed on a separated email.

b) Harmony 1.5?
we have developed J2SE 1.5 compliant/dependant packages -following the
specs
of harmony project-; but we see that currently Harmony is not 1.5 but
1.4.
Is there an schedule or plan to get Harmony J2SE 1.5?

c) Some still missing components...
we have checked some pre-conditions before making this announcement and
we
found that there are some components we need (i.e.: concurrent) which
are
not on Harmony yet.  Is someone working on those missing components?

we'll be waiting for comments,

Sincerely,

Ing. Iris Gastañaga
Executive Director
Instituto Tecnológico Córdoba
Córdoba Business Tower, Piso 15
Tel: +54 (351) 5710022 / 23
www.fitc.unc.edu.ar
PS: we will send mails with specific package information.
PS1: we do know that java.math and java.crypto have already been
donated,
but we do believe our code is a valid donation.
PS2: for each package we have developed a set of test cases (public api)

that we are willing to donate too.

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Daniel Gandara <da...@neosur.com>.
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> i.e. have you tried running it with the original code (EDU.oswego.cs.dl)
>> from Doug's website or only the concurrent utils in 5.0 (JSR166)?
>>
> Daniel Gandara wrote:
> we have only tried with the concurrent utils in 5.0, but we will try with
> Doug's and see how it behaves, I'll let you know.

As promised, we've checked EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent package (
http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html)
and while it works beautifully, it seems to not be compliant with the specs
for
java.util.concurrent (e.g. it is missing some pieces, such as
ThreadPoolExecutor,
etc). Therefore, I am hesitant of adapting our harmony-compliant package to
it,
as it may not be acceptable by Harmony once we are done. What do you think?

As stated above, we've checked with JSR166
(http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/index.html )
and we are ok with it, since it complies with the spec. However, I am not
sure
we can use this as part of Harmony, can we?

Daniel

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Daniel Gandara <da...@neosur.com>.

> >> I'm not sure.  We were thinking about using Doug Lea's to start.
> >>
> >> Are you working on that now?
> >>

> > No, we are not working on concurrent component.  We use concurrent at
> > java.rmi package, so it is one of the missing requisite for our
> > implementation to work; the other big one is 1.5 :)
>
> I expect that Geir meant, "does your code work with Doug Lea's
> concurrent utils now" (and if he didn't I'll ask the question anyway!)

ok.   Geir: sorry if I missunderstood you :)

> i.e. have you tried running it with the original code (EDU.oswego.cs.dl)
> from Doug's website or only the concurrent utils in 5.0 (JSR166)?

we have only tried with the concurrent utils in 5.0, but we will try with
Doug's
and see how it behaves, I'll let you know.

Regards,

Daniel

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Daniel Gandara wrote:
>>> c) Some still missing components...
>>> we have checked some pre-conditions before making this announcement and
>>> we  found that there are some components we need (i.e.: concurrent)
>>> which
>>> are  not on Harmony yet.  Is someone working on those missing
>>> components?
>
>> I'm not sure.  We were thinking about using Doug Lea's to start.
>>
>> Are you working on that now?
>>

> No, we are not working on concurrent component.  We use concurrent at
> java.rmi package, so it is one of the missing requisite for our
> implementation to work; the other big one is 1.5 :)

I expect that Geir meant, "does your code work with Doug Lea's
concurrent utils now" (and if he didn't I'll ask the question anyway!)

i.e. have you tried running it with the original code (EDU.oswego.cs.dl)
from Doug's website or only the concurrent utils in 5.0 (JSR166)?

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Daniel Gandara <da...@neosur.com>.
>> c) Some still missing components...
>> we have checked some pre-conditions before making this announcement and
>> we  found that there are some components we need (i.e.: concurrent) which
>> are  not on Harmony yet.  Is someone working on those missing components?

> I'm not sure.  We were thinking about using Doug Lea's to start.
>
> Are you working on that now?

No, we are not working on concurrent component.  We use concurrent at
java.rmi package, so it is one of the missing requisite for our
implementation to work; the other big one is 1.5 :)

Daniel Gandara

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Iris Gastañaga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     On behalf of ITC (Cordoba Institute of Technology)from Argentina.I
> want to offer a code contribution of the
> following packages:
>
> - java.math    (led by Daniel Fridlender)
> - java.crypto  (led by Miguel Montes)
> - java.rmi     (led by Daniel Gándara)
>
> Last year the ITC decided to start a "clean-room" java package
> development
> project; now we are proud to make this donation and we hope it be
> accepted as a valid
> contribution (which we believe it is).

Thanks and welcome.  It will be interesting to compare and contrast what
you are offering and what we have.

> Having said this, I do have a few questions:
>
> a) Next Steps?
>   which are the next steps? we have read the contribution policy and we
> are
> ok with that; we'll send aditional questions regarding documents to be
> signed on a separated email.

Great.

> b) Harmony 1.5?
> we have developed J2SE 1.5 compliant/dependant packages -following the
> specs
> of harmony project-; but we see that currently Harmony is not 1.5 but
> 1.4.
> Is there an schedule or plan to get Harmony J2SE 1.5?

Yes, but lets start a new thread for this.  (I just did...)

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Iris Gastañaga wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>   We have read the contribution policy and we are ready to sign
>> the following documents -we've questions on some of them, so please
>> advice-:
>
> I'll try to help, but with the standard disclaimer that IANAL, so you
> need to be comfortable with the terms and conditions and grants that you
> are signing no matter what I tell you!
>
>> - SG & CCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt ):
>>     Signed by the CEO of ITC. The CCLA should list the team leaders
>>     as authorized contributors
>
> Ok, thanks.  The list of designated employees on this form is an
> internal matter for you (essentially listing people who can contribute
> assets on behalf of the corporation).

Or you can just ignore that.  For the purposes of this contribution, the
important critical part is Schedule B of the document.  Listing people
in Schedule A is good too, but basically is there to protect those
individuals by allowing them to prove that the corporation has given
permission for them to participate in any apache project.

>> - Bulk Contribution Checklist
>>   (http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/bulk_contribution_checklist.txt):
>>
>>     One for each package, signed by the team leader, and specifying
>>     the list of developers (authors)
>
> You really only need one checklist per bulk contribution (which may be a
> set of packages); but no harm, just more paperwork!

Which is harm :)

Please only send one document that covers the single contribution,
unless there is some problem which prevents this and requires multiple,
but I can't see a situation where that is the case.

>> - ICLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt):
>>     One for each person designated as authorized contributor (or
>>     should it be one for each author?)
>
> The Software Grant and checklist cover the bulk contribution, so ICLA's
> should be completed for people who will be making an ongoing
> contribution to the code.  The ICLA works for contributors, the
> foundation, and code consumers to define the terms under which
> contributions are made to the project.

Right.

>> - ACQ (http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/auth_cont_quest.txt ):
>>     One for each person designated as authorized contributor (or
>>     should it be one for each author?)
>
> The bulk contribution checklist ensures that incoming code, created
> outside the day-to-day development of the project, has a traceable and
> acceptable IP provenance.  If you can provide an ACQ for each of the
> original authors(*) and each ongoing contributor(+) that would be ideal.
>
> (*)otherwise see the bulk contribution checklist for details
> (+)otherwise they are probably out of luck, see the ACQ for details

Yes please provide one for every author of the code contribution.

>> Is this ok? where should we send this documents?
>
> To date these forms have been sent directly to Geir.  I won't put his
> fax number out on the list  -- I'll let him send it to you directly.

+1 203 665 6400

geir

Re: ITC's Contribution

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.