Posted to user@struts.apache.org by meeboo <de...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/18 12:18:39 UTC

URL question

Hey all

Can I somehow hide the action name in a URL to make it more search engine
friendly? I am specifically talking about the index page (in for example
http://www.myapp.com/index.action ).

Cheers

Re: URL question

Posted by Jeromy Evans - Blue Sky Minds <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
If you mean you want a request to http://www.myapp.com/ to execute
input.action, you can:
  - create an index.html with an http redirect header to index.action; or
  - setup your webserver or container so that index.action is the
default welcome "file" (rather than index.html, index.jsp etc); or
  - design an index.jsp (or other welcome file) than can be rendered
without executing an action at all ; or
  - create an index.jsp that contains remote div's to to load the
specific non-static sections that do require an action to execute (these
div's won't be 'search-engine' friendly though)

If you'd like a more generic solution to hide the action name from the
URL, you may be able to use a feature in your webserver like mod_rewrite
to rewrite the URLs to something more 'human friendly'.