Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/25 09:06:01 UTC

Zeppelin out of memory issue - (GC overhead limit exceeded)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to load some data from hive table into my notebook and then
convert this dataframe into r dataframe using spark.r interpreter. This
works perfectly for small amount of data.
But if the data is increased then it gives me error

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

I have tried increasing the ZEPPELIN_MEM and ZEPPELIN_INTP_MEM in
the zeppelin-env.cmd file but i am still facing this issue. I have used the
following configuration

set ZEPPELIN_MEM="-Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m"
set ZEPPELIN_INTP_MEM="-Xmx4096m -Xms4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m"

I am sure that this much size should be sufficient for my data but still i
am getting this same error. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rushikesh Raut

Re: Zeppelin out of memory issue - (GC overhead limit exceeded)

Posted by "Jianfeng (Jeff) Zhang" <jz...@hortonworks.com>.
I verify it in master branch, it works for me. Set it in interpreter setting page as following.

[cid:8CB49F76-39F5-4A53-816B-9E47F7993050]

Best Regard,
Jeff Zhang

From: RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM
To: "users@zeppelin.apache.org<ma...@zeppelin.apache.org>" <us...@zeppelin.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Zeppelin out of memory issue - (GC overhead limit exceeded)

Thanks Jianfeng,

But i am still not able to solve the issue. I have set it to 4g but still no luck.Can you please explain it to me how can I set SPARK_DRIVER_MEMORY  property.
Also as I have read that GC overhead limit exceeded error occurs when the heap memory is insufficient. So How can I increase the heap memory. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am still trying to learn these things.
Reagrds,
Rushikesh Raut

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Jianfeng (Jeff) Zhang <jz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

This is a bug of zeppelin. spark.driver.memory won't take effect. As for now it isn't passed to spark through -conf parameter. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-1263
The workaround is to specify SPARK_DRIVER_MEMORY in interpreter setting page.

Best Regard,
Jeff Zhang

From: RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM
To: "users@zeppelin.apache.org<ma...@zeppelin.apache.org>" <us...@zeppelin.apache.org>>

ZEPPELIN_INTP_JAVA_OPTS

Re: Zeppelin out of memory issue - (GC overhead limit exceeded)

Posted by RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jianfeng,

From: RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM
To: "users@zeppelin.apache.org<ma...@zeppelin.apache.org>" <us...@zeppelin.apache.org>>

ZEPPELIN_INTP_JAVA_OPTS

Re: Zeppelin out of memory issue - (GC overhead limit exceeded)

Posted by RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com>.
I tried setting it as

spark.driver.memory 4g

But still it is giving same error so tried it with -X. Now I have removed it

But as per my understanding this is the spark driver memory, I want to
increase the heap size used by the interpreter.
Because when I run
*ps aux | grep zeppelin*
on my machine i get

/usr/hdp/2.3.3.1-25/tez/lib/*:/usr/hdp/2.3.3.1-25/tez/conf/ *-Xmx1g*
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///softwares/maxiq/zeppelin-0.7/zeppelin-0.7.0-bin-all/conf/log4j.properties
-Dzeppelin.log.file=/softwares/maxiq/zeppelin-0.7/zeppelin-0.7.0-bin-all/logs/zeppelin-interpreter-spark-maxiq-hn0-maxiqs.log
-*XX:MaxPermSize=256m* org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit

This is just a prat of the output. But you can see that it is taking -Xmx1g
and XX:MaxPermSize=256m. I want to increase this. I have tried to debug it
in interpreter.sh and interpreter.cmd and found that it is taking this
parameters from zeppelin-env.cmd but even if i set

set ZEPPELIN_MEM="-Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m"
set ZEPPELIN_INTP_MEM="-Xmx4096m -Xms4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m"
set ZEPPELIN_INTP_JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx4096m -Xms4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048"
set JAVA_INTP_OPTS="-Xmx4096m -Xms4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048"

it is still showing me  -Xmx1g and XX:MaxPermSize=256m and running out of
memory. What should I do?

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by RUSHIKESH RAUT <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.