Posted to dev@tez.apache.org by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org> on 2013/08/15 07:52:13 UTC

Heads up related to protobuf dependency upgrade to 2.5.0

Hi folks

Hadoop recently moved to using protobug-2.5.0. Tez depends on yarn and also uses protobufs, therefore, we are also planning to move to using 2.5.0

Folks having problems compiling against latest hadoop trunk can use the patch attached to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-363. Refer to the top-level pom.xml for more details.
The 2 important settings are:
  - use Dprotobuf.version to change from default value of 2.5.0 to 2.4.1 as needed
  - Set PROTOC_PATH if the protoc binary is not in automatically available based on your default PATH setting in your env.

Please add comments to TEZ-363 if you have any concerns/encounter issues ( or +1s if the changes work for your env ).

thanks
-- HItesh

Re: Heads up related to protobuf dependency upgrade to 2.5.0

Posted by Siddharth Seth <se...@gmail.com>.
Worked fine on my local setup. I'll go ahead and commit this now that
Hadoop has moved to Protobuf 2.5 for all versions newer than 2.1.0-beta.