Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Bharadwaj, Anand (ELS)" <A....@elsevier.com> on 2006/09/04 14:03:55 UTC

Using DOM Objects for Evaluating XPath expressions in Xalan

Hello,

We are trying to use Xalan library for processing XPath queries on the XML
document.

The application will load the xml document to the DOM Tree and process each
node.

It is required by the application to process inner DOMNodes relatively and
apply XPath query on it.

In order to utilize the Xalan library for this, we did initial analysis on
the mechanism to map

the DOM objects to the Xalan objects, and observed the following:

(The libraries considered for implementation are: Xerces 2.7.0 and Xalan
1.10.0)

1.	Through the "XercesParserLiaison" interface though it was possible
to get handle to the XALANDocument from the DOMDocument, it was not possible
to convert the inner DOMNodes to the XalanNodes and apply relatively
constructed XPath queries appropriately.

2.	The manual refers "XercesDocumentBridge" interface as the mechanism
for this case, but this interface has been deprecated. Kindly suggest
alternative available interface.

3.	There are some Wrapper interfaces (for Ex. XercesDocumentWrapper).
Kindly suggest if we can directly use these interfaces or it should be
through an available main handler interface.

We look forward for the inputs in this respect.

Thanks and Regards,

Anand

Re: Using DOM Objects for Evaluating XPath expressions in Xalan

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Bharadwaj, Anand (ELS) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to use Xalan library for processing XPath queries on the
> XML document.
>
> The application will load the xml document to the DOM Tree and process
> each node.
>
> It is required by the application to process inner DOMNodes relatively
> and apply XPath query on it.
>
> In order to utilize the Xalan library for this, we did initial analysis
> on the mechanism to map
>
> the DOM objects to the Xalan objects, and observed the following:
>
> (The libraries considered for implementation are: Xerces 2.7.0 and Xalan
> 1.10.0)
>
>    1. Through the “XercesParserLiaison” interface though it was possible
>       to get handle to the XALANDocument from the DOMDocument, it was
>       not possible to convert the inner DOMNodes to the XalanNodes and
>       apply relatively constructed XPath queries appropriately.
>
>    2. The manual refers “XercesDocumentBridge” interface as the
>       mechanism for this case, but this interface has been deprecated.
>       Kindly suggest alternative available interface.
>
>    3. There are some Wrapper interfaces (for Ex. XercesDocumentWrapper).
>       Kindly suggest if we can directly use these interfaces or it
>       should be through an available main handler interface.
>
> We look forward for the inputs in this respect.

This question is really more appropriate for the Xalan-C user list. Please
subscribe and post future questions there. I will post a reply to that
list.  Please make sure you reply _only_ on the user list.

My first question would be to ask why you need to use the Xerces-C DOM.  It
is possible to use such an instance within Xalan-C by wrapping it, but it
is very inefficient.  You should only do this if you need to modify the DOM
before or after processing it with Xalan-C.

Dave

Re: Using DOM Objects for Evaluating XPath expressions in Xalan

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.