Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rakesh <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2005/05/07 08:40:53 UTC

Way to evade URI checks

Seems Spammers have found a way to evade the URI checks

the domain coolestrxever.com is listed in multi.surbl.org. But the
spammers managed to to evade the URI checks by appending special
charaters at the end of the url which are happily allowed by the browsers.

The spam that I recieved had

http://www.coolestrxever.com: (aa colon at the end of the url)

After a bit of R&D I found the other options for spammers to carry this
techinque

http://www.coolestrxever.com; (a semicolon)
http://www.coolestrxever.com, (a comma)
http://www.coolestrxever.com. (a fullstop)
http://www.coolestrxever.com? (a question mark)

With all these special characters at the end of url, URI checks tries to
make lookup as

debug: querying for coolestrxever.com:.sc.surbl.org

End result, passed the promising URI checks.

I am seeing the first of its kind of spam. If any version of
Spamassassin fixes this in its URI retrieval program please let me know

Rakesh B. Pal
Project Leader
Emergic CleanMail Team.
Netcore Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

Success is how high you reach after you hit the bottom.

Re: Way to evade URI checks

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.

--

    Steve

RE: Way to evade URI checks

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> > On 5/7/2005 8:40 AM +0200, Rakesh wrote:
> > > http://www.coolestrxever.com; (a semicolon)
> > > http://www.coolestrxever.com, (a comma)
> > > http://www.coolestrxever.com. (a fullstop)
> > > http://www.coolestrxever.com? (a question mark)
> >
> > add constantcontact.com) to the list.

Actually SpamAssassin 3.1.0-r169253 handles all of these already.

Bret

Re: Way to evade URI checks

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Niek" <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>

> On 5/7/2005 8:40 AM +0200, Rakesh wrote:
> > http://www.coolestrxever.com; (a semicolon)
> > http://www.coolestrxever.com, (a comma)
> > http://www.coolestrxever.com. (a fullstop)
> > http://www.coolestrxever.com? (a question mark)
>
> add constantcontact.com) to the list.

Add fubar.com type malformed URLs to the list. Some users are dumb
enough to cut and paste, I guess.

{^_-}

Re: Way to evade URI checks

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.
On 5/7/2005 8:40 AM +0200, Rakesh wrote:
> http://www.coolestrxever.com; (a semicolon)
> http://www.coolestrxever.com, (a comma)
> http://www.coolestrxever.com. (a fullstop)
> http://www.coolestrxever.com? (a question mark)

add constantcontact.com) to the list.

Niek

Re: Way to evade URI checks

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.
On Saturday 07 May 2005 07:40, Rakesh wrote:
> Seems Spammers have found a way to evade the URI checks
>
> the domain coolestrxever.com is listed in multi.surbl.org. But the
> spammers managed to to evade the URI checks by appending special
> charaters at the end of the url which are happily allowed by the browsers.
>
> The spam that I recieved had
>
> http://www.coolestrxever.com: (aa colon at the end of the url)

The latest plugin for SA 2.64 fixes the : part as far as I know, and possibly
fixes the other characters too.  The : was first seen about 2 months ago I
think.

A fullstop is a legitmate character at the end of the hostname fragment of the
URL - that was discussed here within the past day I think.

RE: Way to evade URI checks

Posted by martin smith <ma...@ntlworld.com>.

There is a fix for these in the bugzilla, came in correctly caught by SURBL
here, using 3.0.2.
There is two fixes I have applied and seems to catch the URL split over
lines too, not sure if these are included in 3.0.3, I suspect this one is.

Martin