Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/17 22:07:08 UTC

A challenging question for Tomcat gurus

I run Tomcat 4.1.24 on my Win2K System.

I want to suppress tomcat startup dos window.

I know that I can do this if I install tomcat as a
Win2K or WinNT service.

But question is: If I do NOT install tomcat as a Win2K
service, and wish to start up tomcat from the command
line like C:\tomcat4.1.24\bin\startup, how can I
suppress the annoying startup dos window?

Don't ask me to keep the dos window for debugging.  My
web application is done, and it works fine.  I don't
need any more debugging.

In Unix, we can send the startup output to something
else, say nohup.out, do we have similar DOS command
that does the same?

Thanks

Re: Try this (Was: A challenging question for Tomcat gurus)-Woks!

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry, it does work.  You probably wanna set
JAVAW_HOME, too.

Change every java to javaw and every JAVA to JAVAW in
catalina.bat

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: A challenging question for Tomcat gurus

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Oh, really?  This is must easier to handle than the
Windows Script.  I'll try this.

I did try changing those lower case java into javaw,
and it did not work.  I thought that JAVA should not
be changed since it might be a macro.

Thanks.

Posted by Dale Frye <da...@greatsky.us>.

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Poblanno Balp <ba...@gmx.net>.
If you do not want it as a service install Cygwin, there
you CAN do the startup.sh > logfile   thing and avoid the DOS windows. There
you go!

B@1p0
Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.
OK, gotcha, but net start startup does not suppress
the startup dos window for a tomcat instance not
installed as service.

--- Tomas Wredendal <to...@bredband.net>

Posted by Tomas Wredendal <to...@bredband.net>.

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Tomas Wredendal <to...@bredband.net>.

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.
That sounds pretty smart, I'll certainly try it out.

Thanks.

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
Okay then try:

startup run

from the command line, from the comments in catalina.bat it should dop what
you want.

Regards,
Jason

On Sun, 18 May 2003 04:51 am, Mark Liu wrote:
> Tried this a moment ago, but it did not work.  Thanks.
>
> --- Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org> wrote:
> > I haven't tried this myself so I can't vouch for it
> > but try replacing any
> > occurances of java with javaw in startup.bat and
> > catalina.bat there was an
> > old post saying to do this, worked for one person
> > but not another.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jason
> >
> > On Sun, 18 May 2003 04:07 am, Mark Liu wrote:
> > > I run Tomcat 4.1.24 on my Win2K System.
> > >
> > > I want to suppress tomcat startup dos window.
> > >
> > > I know that I can do this if I install tomcat as a
> > > Win2K or WinNT service.
> > >
> > > But question is: If I do NOT install tomcat as a
> >
> > Win2K
> >
> > > service, and wish to start up tomcat from the
> >
> > command
> >
> > > line like C:\tomcat4.1.24\bin\startup, how can I
> > > suppress the annoying startup dos window?
> > >
> > > Don't ask me to keep the dos window for debugging.
> >
> >  My
> >
> > > web application is done, and it works fine.  I
> >
> > don't
> >
> > > need any more debugging.
> > >
> > > In Unix, we can send the startup output to
> >
> > something
> >
> > > else, say nohup.out, do we have similar DOS
> >
> > command
> >
> > > that does the same?
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> >
> > tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> >
> > --
> > Jason Bainbridge
> > KDE Web Team - http://kde.org
> > webmaster@kde.org

Jason Bainbridge
KDE Web Team - http://kde.org
webmaster@kde.org

Re: A challenging question for Tomcat gurus

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
I haven't tried this myself so I can't vouch for it but try replacing any
occurances of java with javaw in startup.bat and catalina.bat there was an
old post saying to do this, worked for one person but not another.

Regards,
Jason

On Sun, 18 May 2003 04:07 am, Mark Liu wrote:
> I run Tomcat 4.1.24 on my Win2K System.
>
> I want to suppress tomcat startup dos window.
>
> I know that I can do this if I install tomcat as a
> Win2K or WinNT service.
>
> But question is: If I do NOT install tomcat as a Win2K
> service, and wish to start up tomcat from the command
> line like C:\tomcat4.1.24\bin\startup, how can I
> suppress the annoying startup dos window?
>
> Don't ask me to keep the dos window for debugging.  My
> web application is done, and it works fine.  I don't
> need any more debugging.
>
> In Unix, we can send the startup output to something
> else, say nohup.out, do we have similar DOS command
> that does the same?
>
> Thanks

Jason Bainbridge
KDE Web Team - http://kde.org
webmaster@kde.org

RE: A challenging question for Tomcat gurus

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
You can try to use the procrun.
It drives the tomcat5.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon/src/nat
ive/nt/procrun/bin/
Download the tomcatw.exe (GUI) and tomcat.exe (console).
Some crude doc can be found at the:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon/src/nat
ive/nt/procrun/readme.txt

The 4.1 still uses old service manager, but you can install it and use
it instead the old one.
The installation is a little bit tricky, and is done inside the
installer itself, but here is a quick how-to for 4.1

Suppose you have tomcat installed in the
"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1".
Then type in (or create the batch file and execute it).

tomcatw //IS//Tomcat4 --DisplayName "Tomcat 4.1.24" --Description
"Tomcat 4.1.24 LE JDK 1.4 http://jakarta.apache.org" --ImagePath
"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" --StartupClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap;main;start --ShutdownClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap;main;stop --Java java
--JavaOptions
-Dcatalina.home="\"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1\"#-Xmx128M#-Dtomcat
.home=\"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1\"" --Install
"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1\bin\tomcat.exe" --StdOutputFile
"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1\logs\stdout.log" --StdErrorFile
"c:\Applications\Apache\Tomcat\4.1\logs\stderr.log"

It will install the Tomcat as service, but it will also allow you to run
it using tomcatw.
Just type "tomcatw //GT//Tomcat4".
It will put an icon in the system try. Double click on it to se the
stdout/stderr.

On thing. It will _NOT_ work on Win 9x.

Have fun ;).

MT.