Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/21 05:56:24 UTC

What is ASF position on plagiarism

Hi,

our project has uncovered evidence that one of publishers has recently
published a book full of rampant plagiarism of our project manual. There is
a chapter where almost all examples are copied word for word from examples
in our manual. So are most comment to them. The book inherited even our
occasional style problems, so cut-and-paste action cannot be called into
question. All material is taken from ASF website.

Aside from obvious ethical concerns, my understanding is Apache 2.0 license
is ok with verbatim quoting as long as attribution is made. I assume Apache
2.0 is also automatically applicable to all ASF web and documentation
content as well. I found no indication of such attribution (aside from the
fact that the book alleges to teach how to use our project).

What's position of ASF in such cases?

Feel free to contact us for further details if needed.

Thank you.
-Dmitriy

Re: What is ASF position on plagiarism

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
No, books generally don't reproduce Apache 2 license. Presumably because
they are not using any code beyond fair use. This one doesn't have either
attributions nor license either. At least its electronic form in Safari
subscription. It just heavily copies the code and comments (in one chapter
at least). By heavily i mean over 90% on code in a particular chapter and
over 60% on text, by my approximate judgement.

ok I understand the position. thank you.

-Dmitriy

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.