Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> on 2021/10/20 13:44:13 UTC

Official Mirror Network Discontinued

Hi Mirror Maintainers.

Introduction
=========

First off, a huge thanks to all our Software Mirror providers, past and
present, over the last 20+ years. You have all provided an amazing and much
needed service and for that we are truly grateful.

This is to inform you all that the ASF has replaced the volunteer network
of software mirrors with a CDN. After nearly 20 years of volunteer mirrors
coming and going, and providing local mirrors to those that download our
software, we felt it was time to move to a CDN provider.

What this means
=============

It means that download urls from project websites will no longer point to a
locally
provided volunteer mirror. The ASF will no longer be checking volunteer
mirrors
for correctness as per our standards previously required. We WILL keep the
rsync
endpoint open for those of you who wish to continue to unofficially provide
a mirror
for your region/country, it is absolutely fine to do so. You may also
discontinue your mirror.

A Lot of mirror providers did so as a way of contributing to the Apache
Software Foundation,
a way of saying thanks for the free software we provide. If you are still
wanting to contribute
in a similar manner, we would happily have you convert those mirror
machines/VMs into a build node that can connect to our Jenkins or Buildbot
instances. That way our projects can build and test their pre-release
software. If you are interested in providing a machine/vm please do contact
us on the publicly archived builds@apache.org mailing list for further
details.

For a further explanation of why we have moved away from our current mirror
system please see this blog post
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache-software-foundation-moves-to
and also a new page on our main website
https://apache.org/history/mirror-history.html

In Summary
now or I will do it for you at that time.

Kind Regards

Gavin McDonald on behalf of all The Infrastructure Team

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator