Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Glenn E. Sieb" <ge...@cibernet.com> on 2004/11/12 16:52:39 UTC

Repository creation question..

We're undergoing a conversion of a current CVS repo to SVN. What the
Higher Ups would like me to do is to have a set of three repos, let's
call them:

Finance
Database
Utilities

And under Finance, let's say we have three projects:

blah1
blah2
blah3

What we'd like to be able to do is have a tree that looks like:

Finance
|-blah1
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches
|-blah2
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches
|-blah3
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches

Database
|-blah4
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches
|-blah5
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches
|-blah6

Utilities
|-blah7
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches
|-blah8
| |-trunk
| |-tags
| |-branches
|-blah9
  |-trunk
  |-tags
  |-branches

We are curious if we can use this kind of layout and be able to do
things like branch all of Finance in one fell swoop. So that blah1,
blah2 and blah3 all get branched to 2.0, let's say?

It doesn't seem clear to me that this would work.. my guess is we'd
still have to branch each sub-project, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. :)

Thanks in advance!!
Best,
Glenn

--
Glenn E. Sieb
QA Tools Engineer

Re: Repository creation question..

Posted by "Glenn E. Sieb" <ge...@cibernet.com>.
Greg Goodrich said the following on 11/12/04 12:59:

> You should be able to create a branch of all three of these projects,
> but I believe it would take n commands, n being the number of
> projects, in this case, three.  Each branch would reside under its own
> project folder, as you show in your "diagram".

*nod*

> Yes, you would, and tag each project too.  I think it is doable, but
> with more work than you may want.  How about this structure instead:
>
> Finance
> |-trunk
> |    |-blah1
> |    |-blah2
> |    |-blah3
> |-tags
> |    |-tagname
> |        |-blah1
> |        |-blah2
> |        |-blah3
> |-branches
> |    |-branchname
> |        |-blah1
> |        |-blah2
> |        |-blah3
> etc...
> This gives you the ability to branch and tag all of Finance with one
> command, as well as optionally checkout all of finance with one command.

*nod* This is what I had said originally to the upper-ups, and I had had
some reservations at developers balking at the additional typing they'd
have to do in order to get files, but.. it's not a problem.. :) (and I
prefer this layout now, after playing in svn for a couple of weeks... it
makes more sense, subversion-wise...)

Thanks, Greg!
Best,
G.

Posted by Greg Goodrich <gg...@medinotes.com>.

Glenn E. Sieb wrote:

> We're undergoing a conversion of a current CVS repo to SVN. What the
> Higher Ups would like me to do is to have a set of three repos, let's
> call them:
>
> Finance
> Database
> Utilities
>
> And under Finance, let's say we have three projects:
>
> blah1
> blah2
> blah3
>
> What we'd like to be able to do is have a tree that looks like:
>
> Finance
> |-blah1
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah2
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah3
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |
> Database
> |-blah4
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah5
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah6
> |
> Utilities
> |-blah7
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah8
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah9
>  |-trunk
>  |-tags
>  |-branches
>
> We are curious if we can use this kind of layout and be able to do
> things like branch all of Finance in one fell swoop. So that blah1,
> blah2 and blah3 all get branched to 2.0, let's say?

You should be able to create a branch of all three of these projects,
but I believe it would take n commands, n being the number of projects,
in this case, three.  Each branch would reside under its own project
folder, as you show in your "diagram".

> It doesn't seem clear to me that this would work.. my guess is we'd
> still have to branch each sub-project, but I'm hoping to be proven
> wrong. :)

Yes, you would, and tag each project too.  I think it is doable, but
with more work than you may want.  How about this structure instead:

Finance
|-trunk
|    |-blah1
|    |-blah2
|    |-blah3
|-tags
|    |-tagname
|        |-blah1
|        |-blah2
|        |-blah3
|-branches

--

*Greg Goodrich*
Development Manager

*MediNotes Corporation*
1025 Ashworth Road, Suite 222
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Phone: 515.327.8850 ext. 251/
/Fax: 515.327.8856

<http://www.medinotes.com>
*Charting Plus - "The Best EMR Value on the Market!"
**www.medinotes.com* <http://www.medinotes.com/>

Re: Repository creation question..

Posted by "Glenn E. Sieb" <ge...@cibernet.com>.
Gary Feldman said the following on 11/12/04 13:12:

> I believe you're are right :-(.
>
> Branches are copies.  In this case, you'd have to copy to three
> different branch root directories (i.e. Finance/blah[1-3]/branches),
> which takes three separate commands.
>
> In my opinion, the only reason this arrangement would be appropriate
> would be if you expect blah1, blah2, and blah3 to be independent (i.e.
> out of synch) with each other as far as version and branches are
> concerned.  The fact that you're even considering having to branch
> them at the same time suggests that that's not the case.  I'd suggest
> instead using:
>
> Finance/
>    |- trunk/
>    |  |-  blah1
>    |  |-  blah2
>    |  |-  blah3
>    |- branches/
>    |  |-  blah1
>    |  |-  blah2
>    |  |-  blah3
>    |- tags/
>    |  |-  blah1
>    |  |-  blah2
>    |  |-  blah3

*nodnod* Thanks for your input, Gary :)

As I just said to Greg, this is the way we'll be going... it'll make
branching/tagging easier--even if it makes initial checkouts more
verbose.. but it makes more sense.

Best,
G.

Posted by Gary Feldman <g1...@marsdome.com>.
Glenn E. Sieb wrote:

> What we'd like to be able to do is have a tree that looks like:
>
> Finance
> |-blah1
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah2
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> |-blah3
> | |-trunk
> | |-tags
> | |-branches
> We are curious if we can use this kind of layout and be able to do
> things like branch all of Finance in one fell swoop. So that blah1,
> blah2 and blah3 all get branched to 2.0, let's say?
>
> It doesn't seem clear to me that this would work.. my guess is we'd
> still have to branch each sub-project, but I'm hoping to be proven
> wrong. :)

I believe you're are right :-(.

Branches are copies.  In this case, you'd have to copy to three
different branch root directories (i.e. Finance/blah[1-3]/branches),
which takes three separate commands.

In my opinion, the only reason this arrangement would be appropriate
would be if you expect blah1, blah2, and blah3 to be independent (i.e.
out of synch) with each other as far as version and branches are
concerned.  The fact that you're even considering having to branch them
at the same time suggests that that's not the case.  I'd suggest instead
using:

Finance/
    |- trunk/
    |  |-  blah1