Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1995/12/04 02:44:30 UTC

Where goest Apache?

David M. Oliver wrote:

> 	Having a hardware vendor's logo on your page doesnt legitimize
> 	Apache.  What legitimizes Apache is a superior product.  This
> 	now needs to be balanced with support such that buyers get the
> 	idea that they'll have something to count on for the long haul.

I've been following and reading the messages about incorporating and
things like that, and I'm a bit confused (well, more so than usual).

When did Apache make the switch FROM being a cool, fast and reliable
Web-server that was based on "patched" NCSA code and that existed because
it was obvious the NCSA was going to start licensing their server soon
TO a "product" that we will have "buyers" for?

I'm all for ourselves becoming some sort of Apache Organization, but
I'm really getting upset (and tired) of commercialization of anything
'Net related being the rule instead of the exception nowadays. Am I being
an old fuddy-duddy when it bugs me when it seems like people don't like
contributing patches or code anymore (or volunteering time) without thinking
how they can make a few bucks off of it? Is "selling out" the main
characteristic of gurus now?

Maybe I'm reading this all wrong; maybe the whole original intent was to
be able to maintain some control (ala FSF) over Apache. That's good. That's
proper. I'm all for that. But I just hope that we don't start down a path
that becomes more commercial as time goes along.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... Feel free to ignore it <g>
--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |           "Wind the frog!"
  **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       - Woody (from Toy Story)