Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by AKBAR IBRAHIM <ak...@wipsys.soft.net> on 1999/11/15 07:27:35 UTC

Tomcat Directory structure

Hi,

I downloaded the Tomcat-Workspace and Tools-Workspace sources. I unzipped them
into a directory d:\jakarta

I have got a baffling set of directories. Though I could find the source files
and I could build tomcat by following the instructions, I don't understand the
rationale behind the directory structure.

I have

d:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat
d:\jakarta\jakarta-tools
d:\jakarta\build   (this was created after I ran build)

d:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat\build
d:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat\cvs
d:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat\jakarta-tomcat  (what is the need for a jakarta-tomcat
directory under jakarta-tomcat)
d:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat\jakarta-tools (why is there a jakarta-tools under
jakarta-tomcat when there is one jakarta-tools under jakarta)

... (and the rest of the directory structure).

I also found many src dirctores and under them the usual set of directories like
(shell, share, native, examples ...).  Why are there so many src directories ?

Can someone explain why the directory structure is what it is and where I am
supposed to find things under this directory structure

Cheers,
Akbar

PS : I am not familiar with CVS. If this has got anything to do with CVS, pardon
me for this post. I had better read something one CVS.