Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Yannick Charbonneau <yc...@uottawa.ca> on 2012/11/13 17:50:55 UTC

Libvirt multi core reservations fail

Hi,

Before I go dig in the code too much, I figured I'd ask...

Reservations for multi cpu/core vms are failing on computers hosted on libvirt.  It appears isAvailable in utils.php is returning < 1.

It works if I deploy it on a host running esxi.

Also, is there a way to increase the max number of cpu from 8 to, say 16 for vms?

Thanks

Yanik

Re: Libvirt multi core reservations fail

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Yannick,

You probably did not miss it.  It is a bug in the vcl.sql and update-vcl.sql
scripts.  It's possible it may have been mentioned in an email on this or the
dev list.  It will be fixed in 2.3.1.  I'm sorry you got caught by it.

I updated the install guide and upgrade guides with a step on how to do add
the record.

Thanks,
Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

RE: Libvirt multi core reservations fail

You mentioned the OSinstalltype table.  Make sure you have an entry in the provisioningOSinstalltype table for the provisioningid that matches "libvirt"
and the OSinstalltypeid that matches "vmware".

Josh

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:48:14 PM Yannick Charbonneau wrote:
> Thanks Josh,
>
> This one is driving me nuts.
>
> I have vcl-vm50 setup on esxi with 1 core.  Everyting works here
> Vm-124 on kvm with 8 cores.  No reservations ever go here.
>
> Image set to require 8 cores. (vmware image)
>
> If I take vm124 and move it from my kvm host and put it on an esxi
> host (and change provisioning to vmware) reservations work.  I put it
> back to my kvm host, reservation fail, giving a window suggesting later time.
>
> I have 1 management node (id 1).  In allManagementNode group, which
> has ALL computer groups mapped to it.  (we are still pretty small).
>
> Yanik

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

RE: Libvirt multi core reservations fail

If you are sure allocComputer is getting passed an array containing at least one computer for $computerids, then you may have a mapping problem.  Make sure you have your VMs in a computer group that is mapped to a management node group containing your management node.

Josh

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:34:12 PM Yannick Charbonneau wrote:
> Narrowed it down to allocComputer returning an empty array.  If I
> hardcode a computerid and managementnodeid the reservation works and
> runs on my libvirt host.
>
> Do I have a link/relation between my management node and kvm hosts missing?
>
> Any clues?

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Yannick,

If you are sure allocComputer is getting passed an array containing at least
one computer for $computerids, then you may have a mapping problem.  Make sure
you have your VMs in a computer group that is mapped to a management node
group containing your management node.

Josh

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:34:12 PM Yannick Charbonneau wrote:
> Narrowed it down to allocComputer returning an empty array.  If I hardcode a
> computerid and managementnodeid the reservation works and runs on my
> libvirt host.
>
> Do I have a link/relation between my management node and kvm hosts missing?
>
> Any clues?

- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

RE: Libvirt multi core reservations fail

Posted by Yannick Charbonneau <yc...@uottawa.ca>.