Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/19 01:06:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] Arrow release management for 0.8.0 and beyond

hi folks,

I wrote up a document describing the work involved with an Arrow release:

https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/release/RELEASE_MANAGEMENT.md

I've managed the last 7 releases -- I think it would be good for
others committers or PMC members to be exposed to the work involved
with an Arrow release so we can build some tools to assist with
automating routine matters.

Since the release vote already takes 3 days, it would be good to get
to a point where we have all of the post-release tasks handled within
48 hours of a release vote closing. In practice this has meant that I
lose anywhere from 4 to 10 hours of productive hours (i.e. a whole
working day) to doing this work. It is important for the growth of the
Arrow community that we release frequently and do not delay with
updating binary packages after the source artifacts are finalized.

There are also a number of tasks, like updating the Python conda
packages, which do not require PMC / committer karma to help update,
so there's opportunities for other members of the community to earn
karma through non-code contributions helping update these packages. I
want to point out that these packages have each had over 100,000
downloads since the project started
(https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pyarrow) -- increasingly the rapid
deployment of new versions of our software will be important for the
health of the ecosystem. By their nature, the Arrow libraries will be
used as dependencies of other projects.

thanks!
Wes

Re: [DISCUSS] Arrow release management for 0.8.0 and beyond

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
The Maven artifacts will need to be updated by a PMC, but you're more
than welcome to take care of the docs.

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.