Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Sharma, Ashutosh" <As...@gs.com> on 2007/01/16 23:45:06 UTC

an we use some other ports higher than 1024?

Installed and working with apache james 2.3 -no probs
Using almost default settings and it starts like this:
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\james-2.3.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\james-2.3.0\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      I:\JDK\1.4.2

Phoenix 4.2

James Mail Server 2.3.0
Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
POP3 Service started plain:110
SMTP Service started plain:25
NNTP Service started plain:119
FetchMail Disabled

But it is for my windows m/c-where I have full rights.
But when I have to port this to Sun machine-I need to test it first. I
am not a root or superuser and thus cannot use any of the ports which is
lower than 1024. So how to work?
robin:dotcom:~/james-2.3.0/bin$ ./run.sh
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   /home/shaashu/james-2.3.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: /home/shaashu/james-2.3.0/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      /opt/java-1.4.2_12
Running Phoenix:

Phoenix 4.2

James Mail Server 2.3.0
Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
POP3 Service started plain:2525
SMTP Service started plain:2526
NNTP Service started plain:2527
FetchMail Disabled

With Best Regards:
Ashutosh Sharma

RE: an we use some other ports higher than 1024?

Posted by "Sharma, Ashutosh" <As...@gs.com>.
I know that I can do that-and we have to do that if we are non root on
some UNIX/flavor of UNIX m/c
But how come SMTP will re-direct port 25 contents to you-that's the
whole idea about what I am asking about.
Anyway I already has the solution suggested by Martin.
Thanks to Martin.

Ashutosh, In the apps/james/SAR-INF/config.xml file you can specify the
ports on which the various services run (at least on 2.2).  Perhaps that
is
what you are looking for.  -- Bud

Posted by Bud Bach <ww...@ameritech.net>.