Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Shay Elbaz <sh...@gigya-inc.com> on 2017/09/07 15:23:53 UTC

What are the drawbacks of having fewer and bigger regions?

Hi,

Our 0.98.6-cdh5.3.0 12xRS cluster is configured with
hbase.hregion.max.filesize=10G. As a result, we ended up with one of the
tables having 580 regions where each region receives writes on a relatively
low rate - low enough that the WAL (33/128MB) forces flushes every few
hours. This in turn causes IO storm, hight cpu, GC, lots of cache misses
and so on, which cause latencies on the application layer. We are aiming to
to avoid those forced flushes.
A short analysis showed that the mean size of the *forced* memsotres is
~40MB, and the majority belong to the above table. See below a sorted list
of forced memstores extracted from log, and teh discussed table is
'tableA'.
As we understand, there are 2 reasonable solutions:
1 - set MEMSTORE_FLUSHSIZE table-attr to 40 MB, and let the memstores flush
on their own when full. pros are obvious, but it could lead to too many
compactions. Should we worry about that?
2 - set hbase.hregion.max.filesize=40G and merge every 4 regions to one.
This should make the memstores reach 128M before the WAL reaches it's files
limit, based on the above 40M mean size. Moreover, we would set
hbase.hstore.compaction.max.size=10G to avoid compacting those huge files.

This rises a conceptual question - what are the drawbacks of having fewer
and bigger regions? From the RS point of view, what is the difference
between having 40 active regions of 10G each, and one active region of 40G
consists of mainly 4 x 10G files? Assuming the new big regions fill their
128M memstore every 2 or so hours, and the heap is large enough to hold the
index and bloom filters, how can it backfire?

Also, does major compaction respect hbase.hstore.compaction.max.size?

Thanks a lot,
Shay.

6.3 M     tableB
7.5 M     tableB