Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Pete <pe...@404dujour.org> on 2005/12/05 16:44:26 UTC

Some Perl Modules Not Loading

Hello all,

If I can just say first of all that I have SpamAssassin working on my system
and I'm very happy with it. However, I am curious as to why I can't get
every optional module installed as well. I probably don't need them all, but
anyway ...

OS = Slackware 10.2 (2.4.31)

SpamAssassin = 3.1.0

Perl = 5.8.7

(BTW, I am sort of kludging my way through this as I'm not a programmer or
even an experienced Gnu/Linux user. As you can probably tell.)

On a fresh install of Slackware, I will typically use MCPAN to get
SpamAssassin. In the past, this has worked flawlessly. But for some reason
now, I cannot obtain and install certain modules. The most annoying of which
is Net::DNS. I say 'annoying' as when I start spamd (daemonised), I get the
following error :

[5742] error: Can't locate Net/DNS.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i486-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i486-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 86.

As Net::DNS isn't installed, I'm guessing that's the reason for this error.

I have turned off DNS lookups for SpamAssassin after seeing this error
message. Would that mitigate the error ?

In the initial MCPAN set-up procedure, I used the canned responses and only
changed the locations of the servers to my country, UK. I selected about 11
servers IIRC. For some reason now, hardly any of them seem to have Net::DNS
at all. I think MCPAN uses Lynx to get it in the end, after timing out
trying to use Net::FTP (?) on all but the last of the servers.

Here is a list of the other (optional) modules that I've tried to install,
using simply : install <module-name> , whilst in MCPAN.

optional module missing: Net::DNS (failed)
optional module missing: Mail::SPF::Query (failed)
optional module missing: IP::Country (success)
optional module missing: Razor2 (not available)
optional module missing: Net::Ident (failed)
optional module missing: IO::Socket::INET6 (failed)
optional module missing: IO::Socket::SSL (success)
optional module missing: LWP::UserAgent (failed)
optional module missing: HTTP::Date (failed)

The comments in parentheses are my own.

So to sum up, I have SA working ok. Spamc is being called from procmail and
all the poo I get ends up in a seperate folder in my home directory
(IN_Spam). But, I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong (have done wrong)
with regard to the extra modules not installing.

Sorry for the long post and also if I've neglected to provide any necessary
information. Apologies also if this ends up being a Perl or Slackware issue
and nothing to do with SpamAssassin. Which, embarrassingly, I'm thinking it
is ... :/ Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks for your time all.

Regards,

Pete.

Re: Some Perl Modules Not Loading

Posted by Pete <pe...@404dujour.org>.
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:44:26PM +0000, Pete typed :
> Hello all,
>
> If I can just say first of all that I have SpamAssassin working on my system
> and I'm very happy with it. However, I am curious as to why I can't get
> every optional module installed as well. I probably don't need them all, but
> anyway ...
>
> OS = Slackware 10.2 (2.4.31)
>
> SpamAssassin = 3.1.0
>
> Perl = 5.8.7

[..]

> On a fresh install of Slackware, I will typically use MCPAN to get
> SpamAssassin. In the past, this has worked flawlessly. But for some reason
> now, I cannot obtain and install certain modules. The most annoying of which
> is Net::DNS. I say 'annoying' as when I start spamd (daemonised), I get the
> following error :
>
> [5742] error: Can't locate Net/DNS.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i486-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i486-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl) at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 86.
>
> As Net::DNS isn't installed, I'm guessing that's the reason for this error.

[..]

FWIW, I have installed SpamAssassin 3.0.0 from
Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.0.tar.bz2 (after first uninstalling SpamAssassin
3.1.0) and do not get the above error anymore.

Regards,

Pete.