Posted to commits@mahout.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2010/03/15 16:58:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache Lucene Mahout > FAQ

Space: Apache Lucene Mahout (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT)
Page: FAQ (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/FAQ)

Edited by Robin Anil:
The Official Mahout FAQ

*General*

# [What is Apache Mahout?| #whatIs]
# [What does the name mean?| #mean]
# [Where can I find the origins of the Mahout project? | #historical]
# [Where can I download Mahout logo? | #logo]
# [Where can I download Mahout slide presentations? | #presentations]

*Algorithms*
# [What algorithms are implemented in Mahout?| #algos]
# [What algorithms are missing from Mahout?| #todo]

h1. *Answers*
h2. General
h3. {anchor:whatIs}What is Apache Mahout?
Apache Mahout is a suite of machine learning libraries designed to be scalable and robust

h3. {anchor:mean}What does the name mean?
The name [Mahout|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahout] was original chosen for it's association with the [Apache Hadoop|http://hadoop.apache.org] project.  A Mahout is a person who drives an elephant (hint: Hadoop's logo is an elephant.)  We just wanted a name that complemented Hadoop but we see our project as a good driver of Hadoop in the sense that we will be using and testing it.  We are not, however, implying that we are controlling Hadoop's development.

h3. {anchor:historical}Where can I find the origins of the Mahout project?

h3. {anchor:logo}Where can I download Mahout logo?
See [MAHOUT-335|https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-335]

h3. {anchor:presentations} Where can I download Mahout slide presentations?
* [Books, Tutorials and Talks | http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/bookstutorialstalks.html] Wiki page containing an overview of all presentations with links to slides where available.

h2. Algorithms

h3. {anchor:algos} What algorithms are implemented in Mahout?
We are interested in a wide variety of machine learning algorithms. Many of which are already implemented in Mahout. You can find them [here | http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms].

h3. {anchor:todo} What algorithms are missing from Mahout?
There are many machine learning algorithms that we would like to have in Mahout, including some from the paper [http://www.cs.stanford.edu/people/ang/papers/nips06-mapreducemulticore.pdf]. If you have an algorithm or an improvement to an algorithm that you would like to implement, by all means submit a patch.

Change your notification preferences: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action