Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu> on 2001/03/31 03:00:53 UTC

CVS build fails on Darwin

Hi,

The current CVS tree does not build on Darwin with Apache 1.3.19.  The
errors during 'make' are:

   <=== modules/perl
   <=== modules
   cc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DDARWIN -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT
    -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common
    -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
    -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -I. -I../.. -DUSE_PERL_SSI  -g -pipe
    -pipe -fno-common -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
    -DMOD_PERL modules.c
   cc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DDARWIN -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT
    -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common
    -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
    -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -I. -I../.. -DUSE_PERL_SSI  -g -pipe
    -pipe -fno-common -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
    -DMOD_PERL buildmark.c
   cc  -DDARWIN -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED
    -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
    -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -I. -I../.. -DUSE_PERL_SSI  -g -pipe
    -pipe -fno-common -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
    -DMOD_PERL    \
        -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/perl/libperl.a
    modules/standard/libstandard.a main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a
    ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a `perl
    /Users/ken/src/modperl/src/modules/perl/ldopts  `
   /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
   _actions_module
   _include_module
   _log_config_module
   make[1]: *** [target_static] Error 1
   make: *** [apache_httpd] Error 2

By itself, Apache compiles fine (Darwin is one of the platforms that
Apache supports out-of-the-box).

Where do I start digging?

Seems to be different than the issue in
http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/brusexspe , but I haven't
started trying to figure it out.

  -------------------                            -------------------
  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum

Re: CVS build fails on Darwin

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Ken Williams wrote:

> I tried building mod_perl again with current CVS, just to make sure, and
> it was still broken.  Then I tried Apache, and it was broken now too!
>
> Then I figured out what was going on.
>
> Last time I tried this, I build Apache, then tried to build mod_perl.
> Before I did that, I had to install LWP.  LWP put a file called 'HEAD'
> in /usr/bin/ , which blew away the file called 'head' (dang
> case-insensitive filesystem...).  Apache uses 'head' during its
> configuration process, so the build failed.

ouch!

> The upshot: current mod_perl CVS sources now build fine for me, and a
> persistent riddle that poked its head up in various circumstances is now
> solved.

good news.

Re: CVS build fails on Darwin

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu>.