Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Urs Baumeler <bm...@ten.ch> on 2000/02/22 12:09:12 UTC

Compiling Xerces C 1.1.0 under AIX 4.3.3 with egcs 2.95.1?

I'm trying to build Xerces C 1.1.0 under AIX 4.3.3 with egcs.

By modifying Makefile.incl, I was able to bring the whole thing
to the point where it compiles with warnings like

In file included from
/tools/AIX_4.3/parser/xerces-csrc_1_1_0_d05/include/internal/ReaderMgr.hpp:99,
                 from ReaderMgr.cpp:114:
/tools/AIX_4.3/parser/xerces-csrc_1_1_0_d05/include/internal/XMLReader.hpp:
In function `static bool XMLReader::isXMLLetter(short unsigned int)':
/tools/AIX_4.3/parser/xerces-csrc_1_1_0_d05/include/internal/XMLReader.hpp:520:
warning: sorry: semantics of inline function static data `const XMLByte
ourMask' are wrong (you'll wind up with multiple copies)
/tools/AIX_4.3/parser/xerces-csrc_1_1_0_d05/include/internal/XMLReader.hpp:520:
warning:   you can work around this by removing the initializer

Modifications in the Makefile.incl file included setting
-DAPP_NO_THREADS.

When I try to run one of samples, the result is, not surprisingly, a
core dump.

Any hints? Has anybody successfully compiled Xerces C 1.1.0 under AIX
4.3 with egcs?

Thanks

Urs

     __________  ________  ____   ___
    /___   ___/\/  _____/\/   |\ /  /\  |  Urs Baumeler
    \__/  /\__\/  /_____\/  | ||/  / /  |  TEN AG Informatik
      /  / /  /  ____/\ /  /| |/  / /   |  Mattenbachstr. 6
     /  / /  /  /____\//  / | |  / /    |  CH-8400 Winterthur
    /__/ /  /_______/\/__/ /|___/ /     |  Switzerland
    \__\/   \_______\/\__\/ \___\/      |  email: mailto:bme@ten.ch
                                        |  http://www.ten.ch

      Tel: ++41 (52) 233 67 67    Fax: ++41 (52) 233 67 66

Re: Compiling Xerces-J-src in Solaris

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
I'd rather use Perl! And there's no need for temp files. :)

    perl -pie "s/\r\n/\n/g;"

(Hopefully I got the \r and \n in the right order -- I'm always
mixing those two up! ;)

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org

Re: Compiling Xerces-J-src in Solaris

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
"Rajkumar, Joseph" wrote:

> The control characters issue was there in Xerces-J-src-1.0.1 and it
> still persists in the Xerces-J-src-1.0.2.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. By "next version" I meant the version
after 1.0.2. By the time I understood where the problem comes from, Andy
was done with the release of 1.0.2. So, yes, Makefiles in 1.0.2 still
contain control characters that you need to get rid of to compile on
unix.
By the way, you can use the following shell command to do that (remove
possible line breaks introduced by my/your mailer):

find . -name Makefile\* -exec sh -c "echo fixing {}; tr -d '\015' < {} >
tmp && mv tmp {}" \;

Simply run it from Xerces top directory.

>    I had to use Jens Muehlenhoff's suggestion of using dos2unix to fix
> all
> the control characters. I will try to compile Xerces tonight on my
> home Sparc-20
> and post any problems.

After I removed the control characters I was able to successfully
compile it both on a Linux box and a Solaris box. So I hope it works for
you too.

Re: Compiling Xerces-J-src in Solaris

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
> 1) First of all, make fails right of the bat, due to the control
> characters in the Makefile, so after unjarring the file
> Xerces-J-src.1.0.1.jar, I wrote a perl script to recursively
> go through all the files and remove the control characters ie ^M.

I looked into that and thought I was going to loose my mind for a while,
but I think I finally understand what this is about. The Makefiles
actually are fine within CVS, and the carriage returns only get there
when extracted on a Windows box. When extracted directly to a unix box,
everything is fine. I guess CVS is doing some voodoo here. So, things
aren't as bad as they appear. However, the zip distribution file is
currently generated on a Windows machine, so Makefiles are screwed when
got from there.
Hopefully, this will be fixed for the next release. In the meantime,
don't delete your perl script, or check the source out from anonymous
CVS.

> 2) Then tried run make, after setting the environment variable
> JDK12BIN and setting the classpath as per the 'Readme' file.
> Files were getting compiled, till it came to this file:
> xerces-1_0_1/src/org/apache/xml/serialize/OutputFormat.java
> where it failed with the message:
> OutputFormat.java:67: Class org.w3c.dom.html.HTMLDocument not found in
> import.
>  >> import org.w3c.dom.html.HTMLDocument
>
> I searched for the HTMLDocument.java file and could not find it any
> where and
> also xerces-1_0_1/src/org/w3c/dom/html directory is missing.
>
> Please let me know where I can get the HTMLDocument.java file and what
>
> are the contents of the directory "xerces-1_0_1/src/org/w3c/dom/html".

The release that was just posted (1.0.2) fixes that problem.