Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2001/01/12 03:22:08 UTC

BugRat Report #747 has been filed.

Bug report #747 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/747>

REPORT #747 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: serious
Confidence: confidential
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.1
   JVM Release: JDK 1.3.0, J2EE 1.2.1
   Operating System: WinNT
   OS Release: 4.0, SP6a
   Platform: Dell PowerEdge 300

Synopsis:
Jakarta NT service unable to log in to SQLserver machine unless service starts as a user

This is a problem that is probably specific to Windows implementations of Tomcat.

I apologize if it has already been reported or resolved.  I'm kind of new at this.

I have a Java servlet that needs to talk to SQLServer 7 on another machine in our LAN.  The servlet uses a system DSN which defines the data source.  It includes specification of a SQLServer login (rather than an NT login), and that login is one that has the necessary permission in SQLServer.

The problem is that Tomcat needs to run as a system service under NT.  That is, it needs to start automatically at boot and keep running regardless of who is logged in to the box.  When I use the Jakarta NT Service wrapper to install the service, and then configure the service to be a *system* service, I lose the ability to talk to the SQL server.  If I configure the jakarta service to run as a user that has an NT login for SQLServer, then everything works fine.

Windows makes this distinction between system services and desktop-interactive services.  The latter stop when the user logs off the box.

I haven't yet figured out how to get Tomcat to log when it is run as a system service, so I don't have any log output.  Our contractor writing the servlets has not yet implemented logging of errors either :(.

So I hope someone will recognize this without any logs to help them, and tell me either that it's fixed in a later release, or that it's being worked on, or that it sounds like a servlet programming mistake, or else what I can do to provide more information if it really is new and really is thought to be a bug.

Thanks!