Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Phillip Urrea <Ph...@esbic.ie> on 2002/06/19 12:32:18 UTC

Lifetime of services

Hi all,
I'm running Apache SOAP on Tomcat 4. I was wondering about the specific
lifetimes accorded to services invoked over SOAP. Specifically, we have a
large application running with the front-end (an applet) connecting over
SOAP to the server. The service is running in the session context.
When a client connects the server retrieves a DB connection from a pool and
starts the application session. The application was adapted from a
client-server version of the application so normally the user closing would
result in a System.exit() call. The thing is to allow for session timeouts,
the client pings the server regularly, if the server does not recieve a
ping, the server disconnects from the DB connection.
My question is when, if ever, does the seperate thread(guessing here) that
was created to host that instance of the server die?
I'm pretty sure that all the threads that are created by the application
either die or are daemon threads. Is that enough? Does anyone know exactly
know SOAP handles the disposal of session instances?
Thanking you,
Phill.