Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Todd N <to...@yahoo.com> on 2008/05/03 01:49:47 UTC

Spamassassin 3.1.1 and latest Fedora Perl update

Hello,

  Recently, on 4/30/2008, Perl update 5.8.8-39 for Fedora was released which addresses the following:

  Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures assigned an identifier CVE-2008-1927 <http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1927> to the following vulnerability: Double free vulnerability in Perl 5.8.8 allows context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (memory corruption and crash) via a crafted regular expression containing UTF8 characters. NOTE: this issue might only be present on certain operating systems.

  We are using Spamassassin 3.1.1.  It is urgent that I find out whether this update is relevant to our environment.  Is Spamassassin vulnerable to the issue that this update addresses?  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Todd

---------------------------------

Re: Spamassassin 3.1.1 and latest Fedora Perl update

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 2 May 2008, Todd N wrote:

>  Double free vulnerability in Perl 5.8.8 allows context-dependent
>  attackers to cause a denial of service (memory corruption and crash)
>  via a crafted regular expression containing UTF8 characters.
>
>  We are using Spamassassin 3.1.1.  It is urgent that I find out whether
>  this update is relevant to our environment.  Is Spamassassin vulnerable
>  to the issue that this update addresses?  Any answers would be greatly
>  appreciated.

Not likely. SA doesn't interpret REs in the message, so how would an
attacker submit a malicious RE?

   Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products.
                           -- Arno Edelmann, Microsoft product manager
  6 days until the 63rd anniversary of VE day