Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2019/02/06 21:30:53 UTC

CHAOSSCon / FOSDEM Update

Hi All

FOSDEM happened last weekend and we got quite a few people asking about Kibble (probably because of the nice stickers!) The conversation generally started like ‘What is that...’ or ‘Is that really a bowl of dog food?’

Whatever – the opening line – we did quite a few demos and answered a lot of questions over the two very full days. As far as outreach and community building is concerned, it was definitely a good thing to do.

As well as FOSDEM myself and Daniel also attended CHAOSSCon. This was the first time we’ve attended and it was focussed around the work being done by the CHAOSS group around defining Community health metrics as well as the software implementations of those metrics. It was good to get an idea of what is going on in the whole ecosystem, and also some pointers of where things need further work. For example – one of the keynotes highlighted that although github is a great tool for open source projects to use and grow,  it isnt the only repository for open source projects, so we need to make sure that any metric tool can cover all repository types.

Daniel also did a 5 minute lightning talk about Kibble (I pretty much helped by changing the slides :-). Anyway we heard some really interesting stuff that I think will be useful for helping us develop Kibble.

The main takeaways for me were:

- We need to become involved with the CHAOSS working groups to either help define or at least understand what has been defined as the metrics
- We need to ensure Kibble is aligned with the CHAOSS metrics so that it can be a useful tool not only within Apache but also to any open source project / organsation that would like to use it
- We need to make sure that Kibble responds to the stories that people are looking for (this might be a bit cryptic so I think we need to start a separate discussion thread about that one as I think it could become an important part of the project strategy)
- We need to continue to reach out to grow our community as new people bring new ideas and experiences.

I came back with a head full of ideas so please watch out as I will probably start a few threads about those :-)

Thanks
Sharan

Re: CHAOSSCon / FOSDEM Update

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 2/6/19 10:30 PM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi All
>
> FOSDEM happened last weekend and we got quite a few people asking about Kibble (probably because of the nice stickers!) The conversation generally started like ‘What is that...’ or ‘Is that really a bowl of dog food?’
>
> Whatever – the opening line – we did quite a few demos and answered a lot of questions over the two very full days. As far as outreach and community building is concerned, it was definitely a good thing to do.
>
> As well as FOSDEM myself and Daniel also attended CHAOSSCon. This was the first time we’ve attended and it was focussed around the work being done by the CHAOSS group around defining Community health metrics as well as the software implementations of those metrics. It was good to get an idea of what is going on in the whole ecosystem, and also some pointers of where things need further work. For example – one of the keynotes highlighted that although github is a great tool for open source projects to use and grow,  it isnt the only repository for open source projects, so we need to make sure that any metric tool can cover all repository types.
>
> Daniel also did a 5 minute lightning talk about Kibble (I pretty much helped by changing the slides :-). Anyway we heard some really interesting stuff that I think will be useful for helping us develop Kibble.
>
> The main takeaways for me were:
>
> - We need to become involved with the CHAOSS working groups to either help define or at least understand what has been defined as the metrics
> - We need to ensure Kibble is aligned with the CHAOSS metrics so that it can be a useful tool not only within Apache but also to any open source project / organsation that would like to use it
> - We need to make sure that Kibble responds to the stories that people are looking for (this might be a bit cryptic so I think we need to start a separate discussion thread about that one as I think it could become an important part of the project strategy)

I plan to take some time off next week to elaborate on this point. It
was quite an eye-opener for me, the way we need to pivot Kibble's
interface and, instead of saying "here are your answers!", start by
asking "what are your questions? What is the story you want to tell?".
We excel at the former, we're pretty bad at the latter. "fortunately",
this can be said of pretty much every activity analyzer out there right
now, so we're not lagging behind in that respect.

Anyway, more to follow next week!

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: CHAOSSCon / FOSDEM Update

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Sharan and Daniel,

That's interesting, looking forward... Unfortunately I can't help in any ways at the moment...

Jacques