Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Carlos S. Zamudio" <cs...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/01 19:07:13 UTC

Deploying WS on Tomcat

Hi,. I have a general question about deploying Web Services on Tomcat
(6). I'm trying to set up a sort of compute server on Tomcat where web
services requests are called to execute an algorithm and return the
results. I use AXIS2 for the WS communication protocol.
I'm running benchmarks on CPU and memory utilization on Tomcat and I am
wondering what the mechanisms are for Tomcat to free up resources once
it has completed the calculation  request.  What happens now is that I
quickly run out of memory for a simple test case of a series of
sequential requests.  Is there a persistence of the session until some
future timeout event?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Carlos S. Zamudio

RE: Deploying WS on Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Carlos S. Zamudio [mailto:cszamudio@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Deploying WS on Tomcat
>
> I am wondering what the mechanisms are for Tomcat to free
> up resources once it has completed the calculation request.

Standard Java garbage collection rules apply.

> What happens now is that I quickly run out of memory for a
> simple test case of a series of sequential requests.

Do you actually get an OutOfMemoryError?  What heap size are you
running?  Is your application failing to clean up after itself?  (That's
the most likely problem.)

Have you looked at the FAQ:
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html

 - Chuck