Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "Charles, Steve" <St...@tesseract.com> on 2004/03/18 23:15:12 UTC

APR on OS390?

At the risk of displaying my total ignorance . . .

I am investigating using APR on z/OS (OS 390) and have a few questions.

1)  Where can I find an OS390 version of APR.h ?
2)  Does APR require z/OS Unix System Services?
3)  Is there anything that would prevent APR from working with CICS?

Steve Charles
Chief Architect
Tesseract Corporation
585-394-0179

Re: APR on OS390?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Charles, Steve wrote:

> I am investigating using APR on z/OS (OS 390) and have a few questions.
>
> 1)  Where can I find an OS390 version of APR.h ?

build apr on your box and you get apr.h customized for your level of the OS

Please see http://www.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-zos.html.  The
instructions for building Apache will get you apr as well.  That should be
reasonable for Apache 2 + apr 0.9.x.  (Bug me directly if you hit problems with
Apache 2.0.x or apr 0.9.x.)

I have not tried to build apr 1.0 on z/OS since a little before Python was
added as a prerequisite for natural development of APR 1.0.  There are a couple
of issues to investigate:

1) is the somewhat odd autoconf 2.13 port I've always used really necessary, or
will a configure generated elsewhere work on z/OS?
2) (based on outcome of #1) either skip the buildconf step totally or hack
buildconf to use the configure created on z/OS but the make file input created
elsewhere

> 2)  Does APR require z/OS Unix System Services?

yes

> 3)  Is there anything that would prevent APR from working with CICS?

I have no idea.  An APR application is just a typical Unix app running on z/OS,
so if those work with CICS in the way you desire then your APR application can
work with CICS in the same way.