Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2019/09/20 10:47:45 UTC

Discuss: write PREFIX not @prefix?

The Turtle and TriG writers output "@prefix".

RDF 1.1 allows PREFIX.

Should we change the writers to output PREFIX? (after the next release)

(we can add options but majority of users don't set options and exisintg
code doesn't)

     Andy

Re: Discuss: write PREFIX not @prefix?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Same here -1

On 20/09/2019, 12:18, "Claude Warren" <cl...@xenei.com> wrote:

    For me this falls under "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
    so
    -1

    <http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Discuss: write PREFIX not @prefix?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
Ok.  Now we might have an "it's broke" statement.  So I change my -1 to 0.

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Discuss: write PREFIX not @prefix?

Posted by Élie Roux <el...@telecom-bretagne.eu>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 21/09/2019 13:41, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Evolution.
>
> The Turtle spec was February 2014 -- there wasn't a formal definition
> before RDF 1.1 -- and the grammar for prefix names and the rest is the
> same as SPARQL 9all the grammar rules ending "s")
>
> This is on output, so hand written files are not a strong factor here
> because they can be read in.
>
> PREFIX and @prefix are both legal inputs to the parsers.
>
> Teaching this stuff does get the question "why?".
>
> Another argument has been "storing RDF text file in git". There is some
> point to that but output isn't stable anyway (bNodes! hash tables! Small
> changes of RDF triples can cause big changes in the text output)
>
> What do other toolkits do?

And are there any toolkits that do not accept PREFIX?
Do they accept RDF 1.1 Turtle thigns liek \u or \~ in prefixed names?

     Andy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Evolution.

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.