Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Gav <gm...@apache.org> on 2016/07/13 02:04:00 UTC

PMC Chair Tools

Hi,

Where are the PMC Chair tools located on Whimsy?

I cant find them anywhere.

Trying to determine what might be missing that are currently being used
on Minotaur.

Thanks

Gav...

Re: PMC Chair Tools

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> sebb wrote on 7/13/16 3:22 PM:
>> On 13 July 2016 at 03:04, Gav <gm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Where are the PMC Chair tools located on Whimsy?
>>
>> What tools are you referring to?
>>
>> If you mean updating committee-info.txt and the LDAP groups, that is
>> done from the roster page, e.g.
>>
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/jmeter
>>
>> Since I am the chair, I can double-click on a row to edit it, or
>> double-click the + sign to add a new entry.
>>
>>> I cant find them anywhere.
>>
>> AFAICT, you are not listed as a chair of a PMC so you won't see the facility.
>
> Brings up an excellent point: perhaps a better UX would be to have such
> editing tools present, but greyed out, with a ? or when clicked noting
> that you're not authorized.  That way at least people will know the
> features are there, even if they can't use them on other PMCs or when
> they're not a chair, etc.
>
> Just an idea.

I don't see the purpose of cluttering the UI with features you can't use.

If you go to your page in the roster tool, you can edit a few fields.
Over time, you will be able to edit more.

If you are a member, you can see information from members.txt,
non-members can not.

Similarly, in the board agenda tool, non-secretary's don't see minute
taking options by default, non-directors don't see approve and flag,
etc.

> - Shane, about to beach vacation, so not much code for me until August.
>

>>> Trying to determine what might be missing that are currently being used
>>> on Minotaur.

I can see the value of showing the options for people with root
authority.  Let me know if that is of interest, it probably is only a
few line change.

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Gav...

- Sam Ruby