Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Kiran Keshav <ke...@c2b2.columbia.edu> on 2007/01/04 16:52:22 UTC

soap packet generation

Hi All,

I have searched this list for any threads regarding the generation of soap
packets in axis but to no avail.  As such, any insight into the following
would be much appreciated.

Basically, I would like to know when the SOAP headers (soapenv:Header) are
added to the soap packet using axis, and what is responsible for adding this.
The docs state that this header "envelope" is optional, so in what case(s) is
it generated and where?  I have done some debugging regarding this, and have
come across the QueryResourcePropertiesSOAPBindingStub
queryResourceProperties method, which is responsible for setting up the Call
object.  The invoke() method of Call is then triggered.  Is this responsible
for generating the SOAP envelopes?

I am asking because I have the following two situations.  The version of axis
used in both situations is axis-1.2RC2.jar, and the headers were obtained
using tcpmon (where can I get the source for this release candidate?  The
following link is down:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/ws/axis/1_2RC2).

a)       Using axis to call a webservice results in a soap packet as
described in bad.xml (the soapenv:Header is non-existent).  Note as well that
the http protocol is 1.0.

b)       Using axis to call a webservice results in a soap packed as
described in good.xml (the soapenv:Header exists).  The http protocol is 1.1.

Case b) works, whereas case a) results in a parsing error on the server-side.

To summarize, I would like to know which class/classes is/are responsible for
generating these different requests, and what triggers this difference.

Thanks in advance,

Kiran

RE: soap packet generation

Posted by Kiran Keshav <ke...@c2b2.columbia.edu>.
Ok, thanks for the quick response.

The headers you are looking for are WS-Addressing headers. They are
added in by handlers. In the good case you must have a handler chain
defined and in the bad case you must be missing that.

Paul

On 1/4/07, Kiran Keshav <ke...@c2b2.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I have searched this list for any threads regarding the generation of soap
> packets in axis but to no avail.  As such, any insight into the following
> would be much appreciated.
>

> Basically, I would like to know when the SOAP headers (soapenv:Header) are
> added to the soap packet using axis, and what is responsible for adding
> this.  The docs state that this header "envelope" is optional, so in what
> case(s) is it generated and where?  I have done some debugging regarding
> this, and have come across the
> QueryResourcePropertiesSOAPBindingStub
> queryResourceProperties method, which is responsible for setting up the
Call
> object.  The invoke() method of Call is then triggered.  Is this
responsible
> for generating the SOAP envelopes?
>

> I am asking because I have the following two situations.  The version of
> axis used in both situations is axis-1.2RC2.jar, and the headers were
> obtained using tcpmon (where can I get the source for this release
> candidate?  The following link is down:
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/ws/axis/1_2RC2).
>

> a)       Using axis to call a webservice results in a soap packet as
> described in bad.xml (the soapenv:Header is non-existent).  Note as well
> that the http protocol is 1.0.
>
> b)       Using axis to call a webservice results in a soap packed as
> described in good.xml (the soapenv:Header exists).  The http protocol is
> 1.1.
>

> Case b) works, whereas case a) results in a parsing error on the
> server-side.
>

> To summarize, I would like to know which class/classes is/are responsible
> for generating these different requests, and what triggers this difference.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Kiran

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle